Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 AM

Default Blue Sky

I have come upon a Springfield rifle from 1941. The barrel has a barely visible Blue Sky stamp on the barrel. Any issues with changing the barrel for a new Criterion (unless of course a 1941 barrel dropped out of the sky on me!)? The rest of the gun has several correct parts which surprised me. And yes, the rifle shoots and functions fine with HXP and my hand loads.

This will be a project rifle as I have three other CMP Garrands including a correct grade Springfield I purchased in 2008, and IHC, and an H & R. Don't mind taking my time and hunting for the pieces parts.

Thanks for the information.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 AM

The SA receiver should do just fine w/ a new Criterion barrel. The Bluesky barrel stamp is irrelevant.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 AM

The Blue Sky import stamps shows the rifle/barrel was in Korea and imported commercially.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:30 AM

I don't understand why you want to change the barrel?, if it shoots fine and HS ok its throwing money away to me... Its not going to be restored so just shoot it... the Import mark will have no impact on you shooting matches with it. Save your $$$.... Me I would do a total tear down, replace every spring, inspect it, assemble. I would spend the $$ on wood if it needs it... BTW to "Restore" it to 1941 specs will run about 1200.00 not including the barrel.... and restored rifles don't bring the mega bucks.. if you find a barrel with low TE/ME your 400 to 500 right there....stock nice 400 to 500... rear sight like 200+ save your $$. the GCA had a article on this a few years ago..."To restore or not"...... Most cases its Not.

Last edited by howardhuge; 09-18-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM

So your barrel has a import stamp on it. What else is stamped? Could make a big difference! More info would be great. A 41 rifle is very cool, tread lightly,please.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:16 PM

Too many people get hung up on the import stamp nonsense. If it's a shooter then do exactly that and enjoy it. Use the rebarrel money to buy up as much M2 ball as u possibly can.

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

Buy now worry about later, later.--Bob Moore, 12/10

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 09-18-2017, 12:29 PM

IMHO, I have to agree with the guys here. I have a July 1942 SA receiver with an April 1943 SA barrel that is lightly stamped with an "Arlington Ordnance, Arl. VA. Import mark. I originally was thinking about replacing the barrel, but thought better of it.

What it needed was a new stock, springs, and a new gas cylinder. I got those items for a lot less money than it would have cost me for a "correct" USGI barrel.

It turned out that the rifle is a great shooter, so it will stay as it is.

HTH.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:50 PM

I also have a Blue Sky. Like everyone else, I was at one time thinking of putting a new barrel on it. However, I read a posting where someone pointed out that it puts a more interesting story to the rifle- it didn't just sit in storage in the US, unused. I now agree with that assessment.

Think about those high dollar correct minty rifles- those have NOT been there and done that! Your Blue Sky has!
Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 PM

Thanks guys for the input. If I decide on it, I will do a full detail strip, clean, grease, and re-spring. Again thanks.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:05 PM

If the barrel date was 1941 vintage, I would not change it.

Since the barrel is a replacement, and you believe you could increase the accuracy significantly with a Criterion barrel for a match or hunting rifle, then change it if you want. It's your rifle and your money. Keep the old barrel in case you want to change it back.