Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 AM

Absolutely beautiful results! I'm going to try that on my next one!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:41 PM

You can use water based, alcohol base, oil base stains in conjunction with oil based finish, tung oil, linseed oil, and etc. Best stain for military stock is alcohol based. But depending upon the wood I use oil, water based stains also.
sparx
Old 09-22-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKYCollector View Post
Wow! That is really beautiful work! Any type of finish after the stain?
Pure Tung Oil.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:30 PM

Beautiful! Thanks!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 PM

did you find it really needed to use the stripper ? The finish on all my cmp new stocks came off with just a light sanding. I will not the 3 pieces of wood are not always easy to match...it took a good amount of trial to get mine matched as good as it is. plus the handguards took on the red much more than the stock..
Either way if you take a little time and don't rush it you can make the stocks look much better than how they come
Old 09-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
did you find it really needed to use the stripper ? The finish on all my cmp new stocks came off with just a light sanding. I will not the 3 pieces of wood are not always easy to match...it took a good amount of trial to get mine matched as good as it is. plus the handguards took on the red much more than the stock..
Either way if you take a little time and don't rush it you can make the stocks look much better than how they come
Yes as I had already applied several coats of Pure Tung oil and didn't like the light color.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:25 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakorick View Post
Yes as I had already applied several coats of Pure Tung oil and didn't like the light color.
Use RLO and it will eventually oxidize and darken. But, now that you've used Tung, you'll have to use the stripper again or it will prevent the RLO from penetrating. Tung is a light oil, it doesn't darken much more than it does in the first application. Want to see how much Tung will darken the wood? Just wipe the wood with a damp rag and you'll get a pretty good representation of it. Don't like it, strip it and use a darker oil or mix a small amount of stain with it. RLO oxidizes and darkens faster, BLO has inhibitors that slow the process. Matching different color wood will require much experimentation with added stains. If the difference is subtle don't screw with it since very few original stocks had matching color wood. They just appear that way due to 70 years of dirt, grime and oil application over 70 years worth of dirt and grime.

Last edited by lapriester; 09-23-2017 at 12:35 PM.