Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Default 653 --- IHC without letter code?

I have #4 without a letter code, is that just a production error, came on a 5.18 CMP rifle...? I have a D-6 --- with letter code A..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
There are actually at least four variations of the IHC op rods.

1. D6535382 IHC
2. D-6535382 IHC without heat letter code
3. D-6535382 IHC with letter code
4. 6535382 IHC with letter code
Old 09-22-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACbaby View Post
OP,
Scott Duff had a couple arrowheads for sale on his site approx. 7 years ago.
One 4441009 listed as original and one 4440037 as restored/reparked, both had D-65 op rods.
HTH
To attempt to determine originality you must, at least, look at known "original" rifles, not restorations.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:17 PM

Any recent news on Wayne's book?
Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM

Default D vs D- Op rods: A Treatise

You bring up a very valid point. To do an accurate study, the rifles must be original rifles. I had a number of original data sheets, and decided to do an in-depth study of the IHC op rod drawing number sequence. I used only original rifles, and decided not to use the early 4.44M range, as I felt that many of them, particularly the Arrowheads, had been corrupted by restoration. (As a matter of fact, I believe the first 500 IHC rifles had all SA parts on them - but that is another story.)

I am an intelligence analyst by trade, and first trained as an imagery analyst. Here is part of the thought process that went into the determination that the IHC D rod came first:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am working on a theory that the D op rods came first in production (instead of the D-) based on a number of factors. This hypothesis is based a close examination of data sheets from well over a hundred original rifles, and also on IHC directives on heat lot codes.

First set of data: I have examined data sheets on 46 original rifles from the 4.40M range to the 4.49M range, and 41 out of 46 rifles (89 percent) have the D op rod. (Two of the five that didn't have the D op rod had the later 65 op rod on them.) Conclusion: When the D op rod shows up in 89 percent of the sample, you can bet the D op rod was original equipment in that time period (December 1952-January 1954).

Second set of data: I have examined data sheets on 80 original rifles from the 4.51M range to the 4.61M range, and 75 rifles (94 percent) have the D- op rod. (Four of the five have the later 65 op rod, and only ONE has the D op rod.) Conclusion: When the D- op rod shows up in 94 percent of the sample, you can bet the D- op rod was original equipment in that time period (February 1954-September 1954).

Here is another tidbit. I have documentation that the op rod tolerances were tightened in February 1954, and that is when I believe the D- op rod came into being with that revision. (This is further correlation that the D- op rod came into being at that time.)

That fact, with the documentation that only about 34,000 rifles were produced from December 1952 until February 1954, and you can see that the D rod would be rather scarce. (The D op rod would account for less than 10 percent of op rod production).

Couple this with the fact that many early IHCs failed function-firing and had to be repaired at a later date, and you can see how some earlier rifles would have been repaired with the later D- op rod, or even the 65 op rod.

As a side note: I have a 4.47M with a 1955 (2225) stock, a D op rod, but a letter-coded op rod catch. I do believe the rifle is original, due to its matching finish and its matching wear patterns. I attribute the late stock and op rod catch to the rifle being manufactured in a time period where IHC had massive rifle failures, and it probably went into the repair crib, not to re-surface until mid-1955.

Further evidence: There is an IHC directive dated May 1954 that all op rods (and other critical parts) would have letter codes (denoting heat lots) stamped on them. The letter codes appear on op rods with regularity starting in the 4.56M (approximately May 1954) range, with the op rods having a small "A" on the underside of the op rod handle), and go up to "C" in the early 5M range (September 1954).

Follow me on the OLD hypothesis: IF, as the current wisdom says, that the D- op rods were produced from 1952 to at least mid-to-late 1954 (AND letter coded in May 1954), then the follow-on rods (the D marked rods) MUST, by IHC directive, have heat lot codes on them.

But, to my knowledge, NO D op rods have ever been noted with ANY heat lot codes.

Therefore, how about this new theory? The D op rods came first, followed by the D- op rods. The D op rod would have been standard equipment on rifles in the 4.40M range to (approximately) the 4.50M range; while the D- op rod would have been standard equipment on rifles from the (approximately) 4.51M range to the 4.61M range.

Please remember the Springfield Armory 4.63M-4.65M "Gap Letters" would have been produced in this time period: Fall 1953 through early 1954. These 20,000 plus rifles would have either the D or the D- op rod on them, depending on exactly what month they were built.

Naturally, some examples will exist outside of these ranges due to recognized problems with IHC rifle production.

To the book: The amount of money needed to print off the 2000 copies was staggering (to my budget), and I am in the process of getting new quotes on a smaller book run. I am also seeking outside funding to do the 2000-copy run.
Alabama Air National Guard: January 1990 - August 2012
Participated in the following ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance) Operations: Air National Guard Counterdrug Operations (1992-2007); Deliberate Force; Joint Endeavor; Northern Watch; Southern Watch; Enduring Freedom; Iraqi Freedom
Old 09-23-2017, 09:26 AM

Excellent work Wayne, I appreciate you taking a minute to drop in on the conversation. I along with countless others are anxiously awaiting the book
Old 09-23-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihcfan55 View Post

To the book: The amount of money needed to print off the 2000 copies was staggering (to my budget), and I am in the process of getting new quotes on a smaller book run. I am also seeking outside funding to do the 2000-copy run.
Wayne - Can I pay for a copy of your book ahead of time to help get it to press. Thanks.

Jerry
Old 09-23-2017, 02:12 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the offer, but I will not ask for any money until I have the book ready for distribution. I should have the financing problem solved in the next quarter.

Happy collecting! --- GWB
Alabama Air National Guard: January 1990 - August 2012
Participated in the following ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance) Operations: Air National Guard Counterdrug Operations (1992-2007); Deliberate Force; Joint Endeavor; Northern Watch; Southern Watch; Enduring Freedom; Iraqi Freedom