Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2018, 09:00 PM

Default How long did it take you to get "good" at off hand?

Asking this as a general discussion. I've been seriously shooting, CMP games and a few local XTC matches, for about 2 years now. I will admit up front, I don't get the opportunity to dry fire like I should but I live fire at least 3 times a month. I have seemed to stall at about the low 90s, more so in the high 80s.

I know what kind of practice is necessary to get out and above this level. How long and what did it take you to get to that "next level"?
Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 PM

I shot my first Western Games match in 2008. Didn't break 90 in offhand for the first time until 2016. I didn't practice anywhere near as much as I should have in those eight years, and don't think my experience is necessarily representative.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:30 AM

3 years. Age 13-16. Mostly 50ft 3-P smallbore practice on the A36, now NRA-50 target. No scoring rings in the white is good incentive to put holes in the black.

How you fit the rifle may determine the ideal technique.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 09-13-2018, 05:37 AM

the first match I ever fired was in November 2014 and my offhand was a 192-6x and that was with a shot in the 6 ring.

offhand is tricky.some shooters pick it up fairly quick and some struggle. on average, it takes a lot of work. i do a ton of dry firing to try to be the best i can. it's tiresome some days but that's what it takes.

whats holding you back from dry firing?
Old 09-13-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martydabney View Post
the first match I ever fired was in November 2014 and my offhand was a 192-6x and that was with a shot in the 6 ring.

offhand is tricky.some shooters pick it up fairly quick and some struggle. on average, it takes a lot of work. i do a ton of dry firing to try to be the best i can. it's tiresome some days but that's what it takes.

whats holding you back from dry firing?
Time, mostly. My basement lighting is awful and I need to improve that first
Old 09-13-2018, 03:09 PM

5 years and I still suck.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 09-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

20 dry shots per day will help a lot. Maybe a half hour to prepare, shoot and put away. There's no easy way. How much better do you want to get?

Easy to say this but harder to actually do. : - )

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 09-15-2018, 08:57 PM

It took me about 2 years before I broke 90%. The next year I hit my record 97 w/ a bunch of x’s. Since then I’ve gone up down and sideways. What I consider to be my best was 13 10’s or x’s in a row.

Offhand is easy. Wrapping your hard around I how easy it is hard. You talk to your fellow shooters and come here to the interwebs and come away with the impression that the hardest thing to do in the world is to shoot an X at 200. Don't listen to it. Keep it simple and dont overthink it. You are your own worst enemy when it comes to shooting.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 09-18-2018, 12:57 PM

A ring at a time.

Keep all on paper, then no misses, then all within 7, 8, black, then 10.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 09-19-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
It took me about 2 years before I broke 90%. The next year I hit my record 97 w/ a bunch of x’s. Since then I’ve gone up down and sideways. What I consider to be my best was 13 10’s or x’s in a row.

Offhand is easy. Wrapping your hard around I how easy it is hard. You talk to your fellow shooters and come here to the interwebs and come away with the impression that the hardest thing to do in the world is to shoot an X at 200. Don't listen to it. Keep it simple and dont overthink it. You are your own worst enemy when it comes to shooting.
I agree with Dan. I used to HATE offhand. Often called it "awful-hand" because others did. I finally accepted the fact that it's here and it ain't going anywhere so might as well accept it. Once I got my head wrapped around that idea, I changed my practice sessions. About 1/2-3/4 of my practice was offhand. At a certain point we ALL shoot well prone and sitting, so more effort was put into standing. I dry fire EVERY day. i actually enjoy dryfiring and most of that IS standing. I have shot cleans but not many. I hover in the 95-97 range most matches. I've also had matches that my standing was a trainwreck.

BTW...Marty Dabney (posted above) is about as good/better shooter than anyone I know and is exceptional at offhand. When he speaks pay attention.

I still have a pic of the first garand match I shot many years ago. It was a 100yd walk/paste match. Out of 10rds, I think 4 hit the target. NOT the black part...THE WHOLE PIECE OF PAPER.

Keep working at it...it WILL get better!

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Last edited by Kilo-Sierra; 09-19-2018 at 05:03 AM.