Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2019, 01:19 PM

Default Rusted 03/A3 stock bolts-are they peened over?

Hi All,

I had missed a nice 03 / 03A3 scant stock here on the board, but with a little looking. I discovered that Gun Parts had NOS scant stocks in both new & slightly damaged shape.
I opted for the slightly damaged, it's in NICE NEW shape for the money. It has nice grain & a very small chip at the muzzle on one side, which I can repair.

They did state that the cross bolts in the stock will have some rust. it was minor in my case. I will need to grind up a screw driver to fit the screw head on the nut.
The QUESTION at last.
I want to know if the screws are peened like some screws are fitted, so they can't come loose in the field. I did apply some penetrating oil to make it break free.
It looks like a straight forward job, to just remove them. Is there anything else I should know about before I try to remove them?
A quick wire brush job & fine steel wool to remove the rust & then some
Brownell's Blueing & some oil to finish the job

Thanks for any insight,
broom
Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 PM

I have observed that the US Military 03A3 stock bolts are touched up with black paint after installation (at which time they are staked). This is done to cover the bright metal and wood damage exposed from staking them. You can usually get the nut off with a properly modified screwdriver. Leave the nut partially on (initially) if you are going to try driving the bolt out. Driving the bolt out will often take a piece of the wood with it. All in all, I suggest that you do any rust removal and cosmetic touch up without removing them. It isn't worth the effort and potential damage. I do recommend tightening the nut, if possible, as they are loose on virtually every commercial buttstock and some of the military stocks from the wood shrinking. The commercial stocks are far worse and if the bolts can be easily removed, you will often find the holes oversized and the bolts worse than useless for their intended purpose. Filling the holes with J&B and resetting the bolts before the J&B hardens will salvage a poor job from the factory. Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 05-13-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:05 PM

I agree with Ceresco, as the bolt head are serated on the edge. Any attempt to drive them out will cause chipping or worse at the edge of the hole. And even if you do get them out with minimal damage, reinstalling them may find the hole now slightly loose and trying to re-tighten the nut will likely cause the bolt to turn in the hole enlarging in further.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:15 PM

Hi Fellows,

I have fixed or repair firearms with out ASKING a few questions! Usually it goes well, but it CAN get UGLY!

I'm a retired Tool, Die & Mold maker, so I know a bit about tools & how things go together.
After reading your reply's. I might just get a small wire brush & mount it in my Dremel tool clean the remaining loose rust off & paint the stock bolts black!
It was just some light red surface rust. The bolts are solid & appear to be tight. They have been in place for 70 + years.... it might be smart to let them be!

Thanks for the quick reply's!

broom-old but still able to LEARN a few new tricks!

Last edited by broomhandle; 05-13-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi All,

I had missed a nice 03 / 03A3 scant stock here on the board, but with a little looking. I discovered that Gun Parts had NOS scant stocks in both new & slightly damaged shape.
I opted for the slightly damaged, it's in NICE NEW shape for the money. It has nice grain & a very small chip at the muzzle on one side, which I can repair.

They did state that the cross bolts in the stock will have some rust. it was minor in my case. I will need to grind up a screw driver to fit the screw head on the nut.
The QUESTION at last.
I want to know if the screws are peened like some screws are fitted, so they can't come loose in the field. I did apply some penetrating oil to make it break free.
It looks like a straight forward job, to just remove them. Is there anything else I should know about before I try to remove them?
A quick wire brush job & fine steel wool to remove the rust & then some
Brownell's Blueing & some oil to finish the job

Thanks for any insight,
broom
Can you post a picture of the stock?
I have wondered how those look
Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 PM

Hi hebes405,

Sorry, I'm computer challenged, no idea how to post a picture.

The stock has a short sort of pistol grip shape, that is much more comfortable to shoot.(Might be called a Type 12 or 15 used mainly on A4 sniper rifle) Do a search. You will see the shape of it, compared to a true "C" stock which is a true pistol grip stock & the normal straighter style stock.

If you go to Gun Parts/ Numrick site,( 03 / 03 A3 scant stocks) they have some clear pictures, that reflect the quality of the stock I bought.
By the way, it was made by Keystone! Nice walnut wood grain too! A # of good reviews, were a help for me to finely buy it!
They mentioned there were only 8 or 9 left.

It's 70 + years old & been in warehouses for ever. As I mentioned mine, has a little chip maybe 1/8 inch on one side. Top edge of the stock, at the muzzle which will be covered by the bayonet / hand-guard metal. Naturally the better quality stock ($) will be in even better shape.

If you need one , I wish you Good Luck also,
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 05-13-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM

Got a scant stock today from Numrich: Three inch chunk of wood missing at front;two splits at butt; five defects filled in with dark wood filler; stock bolts well rusted. Overall useable but ugly. None of these defects can be hidden unless you use spray on "bed-liner"
Old 05-17-2019, 09:17 PM

Hi Kansasbobcat,

Your damage is much worse then what the ad states.
Please give them a call. I'm sorry your stock does not measure up. The white foam sleeve over the stock suggest, the picker never looked at the TRUE condition your stock was in.
As I mentioned in the other post, I have returned a few items to GUN Parts over the years & did receive a better replacement.

Good Luck, broom
See below. There were also # of good reviews on it.

DAMAGED SCANT GRIP STOCK
This is an unissued, non-finger groove walnut stock that has been cracked or chipped during handling and transit. Stock may also contain some water stains from damp storage. The damage is mainly in the tip area, which the front band will cover, and/or the butt area, which can be repaired. A light sanding and new stain finish will go a long way with this stock. Stock is unmarked and includes reinforcing nuts and bolts. Other metal hardware is not included. Sold as is.
Note: Color of finish may vary, and the reinforcing bolts may be rusted