Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Good Place to Stay Near the South Store (Cheaha State Park)

I don't see it mentioned here. My wife and I have been staying at Cheaha State Park when we visit the south store. It's a pretty/well maintained park about 30 min from the south store.

We have an RV and stay in there full hook up sites, but they have cabins and other options available.

https://www.alapark.com/parks/cheaha-state-park
Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 PM

It's the highest point in Alabama and they have an excellent buffet restaurant at the summit with an unparalleled view. Highly recommend!
Old 07-25-2019, 10:33 AM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

I have stayed there for race weekend several times. The cabins are really nice; but, a room at the lodge, right next to the restaurant mentioned above, are also nice and reasonably priced.

There are several beautiful sites for a picnic, some with grills. There is also a small lake where the kids can swim.

The only place within 100 miles that doesn't jack up rates for the race weekends!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:59 PM

Stopped by this last trip. I agree, very well maintained and the buffet at the restaurant was very affordable and delicious. Watching the sunset off the back deck was a plus. The grand-kids had a blast swimming at the lake and the trails were well maintained. All in all a great weekend.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:37 PM

Well, obviously they’ve gotten a new food vendor and chef since my wife and I ate there last fall.
The best I can say for the day we were there is that it’s state cafeteria food, served buffet style.
Very mediocre.
The view is excellent, but growing up in Anniston, I can say that MUCH better food is just an hour away.
I had never eaten at the restaurant, and was badly disappointed.

Last edited by GooseGestapo; 08-13-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
Well, obviously they’ve gotten a new food vendor and chef since my wife and I ate there last fall.
The best I can say for the day we were there is that it’s state cafeteria food, served buffet style.
Very mediocre.
The view is excellent, but growing up in Anniston, I can say that MUCH better food is just an hour away.
I had never eaten at the restaurant, and was badly disappointed.
Thanks for your honesty, as I am heading to the South Store next week. The South Store is my destination, the wife is going on my "maybe" once in a lifetime trip, this stop was on my list, “for her”. Where do you recommend for diner?

Last edited by flatlander; 08-14-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:27 AM

The Oxford and Golden Springs exits off I-20 have everything imaginable. “Dads Barbeque”, about 3mi north of the Oxford exit (S. Quintard Ave) is good.

There is also a barbecue restaurant south of I-20 on Hwy77. Closest place to CMP Talladega to eat.
You might want to take a sack lunch if going to CMP Talladega, as there is no concessions, @nd nearest restaurant is is 5-7mi away, and limited at that.

CMP South is off the Golden Springs exit (north). Large shopping center south of Interstate. (Kohl’s, Sam’s, ect.).
I would plan to go to CMP south in morning, spend afternoon at Talladega. Bring plenty of ammo!
I can recommend the Creedmoor Sports 167gr Match ammo. Garand safe (uses VV-N140 powder). It’ll show you what your Garand will really do.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:25 AM

May want to add Betty’s BBQ to the list on Quintard Ave and if staying overnight Top o the River on Quintard also has great seafood at very reasonable prices, both are local favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
The Oxford and Golden Springs exits off I-20 have everything imaginable. “Dads Barbeque”, about 3mi north of the Oxford exit (S. Quintard Ave) is good.

There is also a barbecue restaurant south of I-20 on Hwy77. Closest place to CMP Talladega to eat.
You might want to take a sack lunch if going to CMP Talladega, as there is no concessions, @nd nearest restaurant is is 5-7mi away, and limited at that.

CMP South is off the Golden Springs exit (north). Large shopping center south of Interstate. (Kohl’s, Sam’s, ect.).
I would plan to go to CMP south in morning, spend afternoon at Talladega. Bring plenty of ammo!
I can recommend the Creedmoor Sports 167gr Match ammo. Garand safe (uses VV-N140 powder). It’ll show you what your Garand will really do.