Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 PM

Default World War 1 Veteran question

While cleaning out my grandmotherís home recently after her passing I found my great grandfatherís discharge papers from the National Guard. My great grandfather was in the National Guard during World War 1. He enlisted for a six year commitment in July 1918 but was Honorably Discharged early in December 1918 due to the war ending. My great grandfather passed in 1986 when I was just a child. My dad was telling me there was no flag on my great grandfatherís coffin at his funeral. My question is would he have qualified to have a flag draped coffin as a National Guard veteran with an honorable discharge from the service or do National Guardsmen not qualify? Sorry for the long post, just trying to make sure I was clear on everything.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:56 PM

From a quick read of VA benefits, if he were activated for a 90 day period, he would have been entitled to a flag and military funeral. Of course, those are the current rules. Not sure what they were in 1986. You would have to present his papers to a VA representative to get the answer.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 PM

CDRT,

Thank you very much for the response. It was just something I was curious about.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:18 AM

The VA rules concerning Veterans Benefits are a moving target which change from day to day, it seems.

Normally, the VA does not make any determination regarding burial flags, as that is done at the funeral home level, based on them seeing the discharge papers, DD-214, or other appropriate records.

If you wish to install a VA government headstone or marker for his grave, then you could simply submit their form (available on line at their website) along with a copy of the discharge papers and they will send you (or the cemetery, or a representative) a government headstone or marker at no cost to you. There are several styles available. They do have regulations which apply to such requests, such as whether or not the grave is currently marked. Also, you have to have a cemetery official sign the request with assurance that you can place the marker there.

You could also request that the VA send you a burial flag.

You might also want to request a copy of his service record from the National Military Personnel Records Center (NMPRC) located in Saint Louis, MO. Include a copy of his discharge papers. They will probably write back to tell you about a big fire in 1973 which destroyed most of the Army records, but they will also send you some forms which you can fill out to assist them in re-creating a record for him which will be available to future generations.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 AM

Navyrifleman,

Thank you also for your response. I will look into both the flag and the records. The information is much appreciated.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aet187 View Post
While cleaning out my grandmother’s home recently after her passing I found my great grandfather’s discharge papers from the National Guard. My great grandfather was in the National Guard during World War 1. He enlisted for a six year commitment in July 1918 but was Honorably Discharged early in December 1918 due to the war ending. My great grandfather passed in 1986 when I was just a child. My dad was telling me there was no flag on my great grandfather’s coffin at his funeral. My question is would he have qualified to have a flag draped coffin as a National Guard veteran with an honorable discharge from the service or do National Guardsmen not qualify? Sorry for the long post, just trying to make sure I was clear on everything.
https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-27-2008-ARE.pdf

https://www.military.com/benefits/burial-and-memorial

Last edited by DDRode; 01-16-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM

I had a great Uncle killed on D-Day. The family neglected to get him a stone. I am the only surviving relative of this man. (Great Nephew). How do I get his paperwork (discharge or KIA Info) I need to do that as I an not getting any younger. It's on my to do list.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywash View Post
I had a great Uncle killed on D-Day. The family neglected to get him a stone. I am the only surviving relative of this man. (Great Nephew). How do I get his paperwork (discharge or KIA Info) I need to do that as I an not getting any younger. It's on my to do list.
Contact the National Archives. They should be able to explain the procedure necessary to get his military records IF they weren't destroyed in the fire as many WW2 records were.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:38 PM

Just a few comments about the organization of the US Army in World War I time frame.

The Regular Army was small in relation to the National Guard back then. When the US declared war on Germany and Austria Hungary and US troops were committed, there was a huge call-up of all National Guard Divisions and a recruitment/draft effort to fill all of them.

Most men drafted were drafted into National Guard Divisions at the start of our involvement. Then when the National Guard Divisions were full and trained, and sent overseas, and more troops were needed, the National Army was created with even more Divisions. Those Divisions also saw action overseas.

Because of the nature of the quick build-up and relatively fast end of the War, there was a rapid draw down of units at War's end and most men who served in the War were discharged and sent home to their civilian pursuits.

There was an American "Army of Occupation" (now known as the US 3rd Army) which stayed overseas for almost a year before being redeployed home.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 PM

My grandfather went through a couple of NG units before he shipped overseas as a replacement. He ended up in the 2nd Infantry Division joining them in the Marbache sector in 1918.