Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2019, 04:31 PM

Default 50 Cal M3 ammo can

I found an aluminum M
3 ammo can with the leather handle and a lot of the paint missing. This is the first one I ever seen. Any idea on value? I found the following info on another sight; "Chest Ammunition Cal .50 M3. Adopted in June 1934, the M3 chest was made of aluminum and was similar to the M17 but had two metal loops (spacers) on the back. The M3 had a leather handle rather than cotton web. According to the August 1942 SNL-39 on the Browning Machine Gun It was the preferred type of box for use by cavalry. It was said to hold 120 rounds. Internal padding of a synthetic material similar to linoleum was possibly to deaden the sound of ammunition rattling or possibly to prevent the ammunition from denting of the box. The padding covered the inside of the lid, bottom and three sides but not the front of the chest and was riveted in place .The chest has a brass piano type hinge and the lid is not removable. According to "Notes on the Pack Equipment Cal .30 & Cal .50 from Rock Island Arsenal, January 1937" the M3 could be carried on a packsaddle using hanger ammunition M9. The box in the picture has black lettering but many have blue lettering. The drawing number of the M3 Chest was D7260."