Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2019, 10:41 PM

Default Some pics and some questions

https://imgur.com/gallery/WKHD0ug

Ok need some help with a gas cylinder ID. First, I have read several threads of how to ID a gas cylinder but canít seem to figure it out. I only have the two as that is the extent of my collection. The pics of the gas cylinder is the one on my mostly corrected 4.77 HRA, and thatís the one that came on it. Just trying see if it is possibly correct. The front sight is 3/4 in wide and also came on it and I know the cylinder is a wide base.

The other rifle is my Jan 42 mixmaster with CMP stock and has a wide base WW II cylinder on it. At least thatís what I believe because it was sold to me by a gentleman on the forum that is very knowledgeable and thatís what he said it was.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFD165 View Post
https://imgur.com/gallery/WKHD0ug

Ok need some help with a gas cylinder ID. First, I have read several threads of how to ID a gas cylinder but canít seem to figure it out. I only have the two as that is the extent of my collection. The pics of the gas cylinder is the one on my mostly corrected 4.77 HRA, and thatís the one that came on it. Just trying see if it is possibly correct. The front sight is 3/4 in wide and also came on it and I know the cylinder is a wide base.

The other rifle is my Jan 42 mixmaster with CMP stock and has a wide base WW II cylinder on it. At least thatís what I believe because it was sold to me by a gentleman on the forum that is very knowledgeable and thatís what he said it was.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Apparently either nobody knows anymore than you do or you are being ignored, which I find hard to believe!
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:18 AM

I asked this question a few years ago, and I got a plethora of replies, but no one could definitively define/qualify/identify which was which or how to tell them apart.
Some had wide base with narrow sight, some were vice versa, some had both, some had neither.
Several had different interpretations of wide and narrow.
You have a task on your hands. I am all ears, I will follow this one.

I had 45+ positive feedbacks one day, and then the next day it was gone...................poltergeist?
Old 09-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

Not enough pictures to be sure. The very last picture in the album looks like it might be an HRA gas cylinder from the color and the style of staking.

For the gas cylinder on the SA, it would be helpful to know if it is wide base or narrow base and then have pictures that show the right rear of the gas cylinder, top of the rear ring, right side showing the stacking swivel staking, maybe some others as well. It can be really hard to ID a gas cylinder from just one or two pictures.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:07 PM

I will post some more pics but wonít be able to until tomorrow. The one on the SA Iím not to worried about but will post some of it also. They both are wide base and have a flat spot on the ring. You canít count the color of the one posted because it had no finish when I got it and I painted it. Sorry forgot to include that in the first post.
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:52 PM

In late 1962 / early 1963 SA had run out of gas cylinder assemblies for any kind of rebuilding of M1 rifles or to meet spares requirements for Foreign Aid rifles. The SA gas cylinder tooling was long dismantled and gone. So SA resurrected the HRA tooling in Ordnance storage at Schenectady and made new gas cylinders.

The obvious problem here is what do these new gas cylinders look like? Do they look like HRA gas cylinders or do they look like SA gas cylinders? Did SA use HRA’s staking tooling and method for the swivel screws? How to tell? Did SA change their gas cylinder manufacturing methods when using HRA tooling? Did SA contract out the swivel screws? What did they look like? Could they look like IHC cylinders and screws? Are these 1960’s gas cylinders made by SA on HRA tooling being mis-identified?

Ordnance must have produced several hundred thousand of these gas cylinders assemblies to meet immediate and future rebuild and Foreign Aid requirements by 1963 so there are more than a trivial number in circulation. Good luck on your identification.