Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Sarge View Post
The theory is a bird of prey dropped the rabbit when the first Phantom went by and it went through the windscreen of one of the subsequent Phantoms. Sort of like the "Golden BB" rule.

The Commander notified higher HQ of the report and was greeted by laughter on the other end of the phone line. The response was just how high can a Spanish rabbit jump?
Along the same lines, but not plane related.
About 5 years ago one of the railroads requested a change to the standards for railcar construction to increase the supports on car-top walkways to increase the supported weigh to 1,200 lbs from the current 300(?) lbs. (my sister worked for the Association of American Railroads).
The request came back suggesting a weight reduction program for their employees.
The railroad forwarded a picture taken of a moving train showing 3 VERY LARGE Grizzly bears riding on top of a train of covered hopper cars. The hoppers contained grain, and the bears had pried open the top hatches, and were face-first into the cars eating the grain. When the train had been stopped, they had climbed up the ladders, severely damaging the structure. When the train stopped again (100+ miles later), they all climbed down.
New procedures have been adopted to secure yards in areas that are remote, and were previously considered isolated enough to be "secure", including shooting of "nuisance bears".
Old 09-15-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm View Post
Along the same lines, but not plane related.
About 5 years ago one of the railroads requested a change to the standards for railcar construction to increase the supports on car-top walkways to increase the supported weigh to 1,200 lbs from the current 300(?) lbs. (my sister worked for the Association of American Railroads).
The request came back suggesting a weight reduction program for their employees.
The railroad forwarded a picture taken of a moving train showing 3 VERY LARGE Grizzly bears riding on top of a train of covered hopper cars. The hoppers contained grain, and the bears had pried open the top hatches, and were face-first into the cars eating the grain. When the train had been stopped, they had climbed up the ladders, severely damaging the structure. When the train stopped again (100+ miles later), they all climbed down.
New procedures have been adopted to secure yards in areas that are remote, and were previously considered isolated enough to be "secure", including shooting of "nuisance bears".
Critters are good at surprising man, and destroying what we didn't think was possible. My dad used to muse over the question of how many aircraft could have been brought down by rabbit strikes.......
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Last edited by USAF Sarge; 09-15-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Kritters are good at surprising man, and destroying what we didn't think was possible. My dad used to muse over the question of how many aircraft could have been brought down by rabbit strikes.......
On a family vacation one weekend we flew from Newark to Balt-Wash to White Sulpher Springs (Greenbriar). Had 2 bird strikes on the way, and one on the way back.
I guess they forget they have to share the sky with us.

In his book "Bomber", author Len Deighton remarks on the number of night-fighters the Germans lost due to bird strikes. Until then, no one thought about how many birds there are flying in the dark.
(I think they should be required to display marker lights. )
Old 09-16-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Critters are good at surprising man, and destroying what we didn't think was possible. My dad used to muse over the question of how many aircraft could have been brought down by rabbit strikes.......
We have/had a chicken cannon, why not a Lepus version?

Last edited by Carriec; 09-16-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:17 AM

When I got to Alaska in 1978 there was an F-4 Phantom that had some minor damage to the bottom of the fuselage. The story was that he had a bird strike - but the bird happened to be sitting in its nest IN A TREE. The story was that the pilot was hot dogging at low level and misjudged either his altitude or speed and flew through the tops of some trees. The robust design of the Phantom to include it's J79 engine said his bacon.

Since I was newly arrived there , I didn't ask a lot of questions of the fighter guys.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:41 PM

Default Underwater video of a Japanese plane shot down at Palau.

Short video, interesting.

https://worldwarwings.com/heres-rare...2WL0HKzsVWHqZE

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 09-18-2019, 07:44 PM

I'm surprised there is that much of it left J.R.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:45 AM

A quick plane incident. I was walking toward my hose to rinse off some paint on an aluminum pie plate I was holding on edge with my fingers when an Air Force 4 engine Fuel Tanker flew overhead. the vibrations from the engines caused the pie plate to vibrate in my hand.As the plane flew away the vibrations stopped but as I turned the plate in the planes direction it started again until it faded.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:36 PM

Are there still B-25s flying? I could have sworn I saw one low overhead near Otis AFB in Massachusetts today. Twin engines, twin vertical stabilizers. Maybe part of an air show?
Old 09-19-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinpig View Post
Are there still B-25s flying? I could have sworn I saw one low overhead near Otis AFB in Massachusetts today. Twin engines, twin vertical stabilizers. Maybe part of an air show?
Here's the list of survivors, several of which are fliers or airworthy. You can scroll down to see the US section.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...B-25_Mitchells

As for the one you saw, maybe from this group, they are currently touring Massachusetts.

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/e...mouth-ma-2018/
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Last edited by USAF Sarge; 09-19-2019 at 02:01 PM.