Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 AM

Default .22 cal AR trainer?

Okay, here's another question for you folks who are chasing rifle LEG points:

How common, and/or useful, is it to use a .22LR trainer to simulate your competition AR15? Is this a fairly common practice?

A dedicated AR upper in .22 seems pretty expensive......you could buy a pretty good bit of 5.56 ammo for the cost of acquiring a dedicated .22 upper to simulate the feel, weight, and balance of the competition AR15.

If this is a fairly common practice tool, what are the top recommendations? Anyone using the CLE .22 upper? Is it worth it?

Any other training ideas besides dry-firing and/or burning through 5.56 ammo at the range?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:59 AM

I don't own a dedicated 22 upper for practice. I shoot so many matches a year that It would be a waste of time for me. How many matches does it take to be a waste of time? I have shot 52 matches since late March to date. All high power with a few 100yd smallbore prone, CMP leg, Games, and Perry included. However, I do have a Win 52 that I shoot in the winter on the indoor range when I'm not reloading for the next season; 80% of that practice is offhand.

If I were to go with a practice rifle, I think I would get one of the Air ARs from Creedmoor.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 PM
GSM Master Instructor

The Air-15 from Creedmoor (or the MAR-177 upper from Crosman if they ever release it) are a great idea for indoor practice. I'm hoping to pick up one of the Crosman uppers so I can sneak in some practice at home after the kid goes to bed.

I also own a .22lr AR-15. It is set up like my full powered AR, just with a dedicated .22lr bolt and barrel. I shoot 50 yard reduction targets. I like it because it's quick. I can staple a full course of targets to a piece of cardboard, hang them up, shoot a full practice match, and be packed up and leaving for home in about an hour. THAT is a big plus for someone (like me) who has limited time to practice. I still shoot the full power AR in practice when I can, but I have found the .22 version to be a decent practice tool.

Matt
Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 PM

I have a Compass Lake Engineering dedicated .22 upper with the Douglas Barrel and sights exactly like my full caliber match upper. I shoot it at 100 yards on the SR1 (I think) target.
I think it is worth it.
Instead of shooting .223, maybe 20 to 30 rounds and being satisfied with the results, I now typically shoot 50 to 100 rounds of .22 and am producing very consistant results that typically are 97/100 or better every ten shot string.
Except for offhand, which is still crummy, but improving.
I have convinced myself that the money spent for the upper is being recouped in ammunition costs and the amount of rounds sent down range.
Come February - March I will resume shooting the .223 in my practice sessions along with continuing the .22 in each session and expect to obtain exactly the same results in practice at 200 and 300 yard shooting.
I agonized over spending that much money for the .22 upper for a long time and am glad that I finally bought it.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:40 PM

I suppose I should have mentioned the trigger break is exactly the same as my match rifle because it is the match rifle lower.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Greaney View Post
I have a Compass Lake Engineering dedicated .22 upper with the Douglas Barrel and sights exactly like my full caliber match upper. I shoot it at 100 yards on the SR1 (I think) target.
I think it is worth it.
Instead of shooting .223, maybe 20 to 30 rounds and being satisfied with the results, I now typically shoot 50 to 100 rounds of .22 and am producing very consistant results that typically are 97/100 or better every ten shot string.
Except for offhand, which is still crummy, but improving.
I have convinced myself that the money spent for the upper is being recouped in ammunition costs and the amount of rounds sent down range.
Come February - March I will resume shooting the .223 in my practice sessions along with continuing the .22 in each session and expect to obtain exactly the same results in practice at 200 and 300 yard shooting.
I agonized over spending that much money for the .22 upper for a long time and am glad that I finally bought it.
I agree 100%. My Compass Lake is deadly accurate and for our long Northern Michigan winters it is the cat's PJs. Expensive yes but I've seen more than a few, that were shot for a few years, sell for only about $150 less than new. Great retained value and with your own match lower it is "perfect" practice.

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 12-16-2011, 02:35 PM

I have a CLE dedicated .22 service rifle. For service rifle practice they are worth every penny. I built mine from a donor NM service rifle using CLE's modified M261 conversion, mag inserts, and .22 barrel for half the price.
If you price everything you need to build one from scratch, you will come up with a number close to the CLE retail price. Go ahead and get one. You will not regret it.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:49 PM

By the way..Sarco has the Mag inserts for the 261 pretty cheap

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Put my GW Bush stimulus check (remember that) towards a CLE upper. No regrets, and as always, everything Greg F says always makes a lot of sense.

Every 223 round equals a dime worth of barrel wear. A .22 barrel is pretty much a lifetime investment.

Ryan V
Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwieczorek View Post
The Air-15 from Creedmoor (or the MAR-177 upper from Crosman if they ever release it) are a great idea for indoor practice. I'm hoping to pick up one of the Crosman uppers so I can sneak in some practice at home after the kid goes to bed....
The MAR-177 is out!! I got mine on Saturday and have not had a chance to shoot it. Upon inspection it looks really good. Seems very substantial and looks like it will really help me. I can set of a 10 meter range in my basement so I have a nice warm place to shoot. The only think that I'm going to do to it (that I know of now) is to change out the rear sight. I'm going to put on a 1/4x1/4 rear hooded sight and drop in a Bob Jones lense. Then it will be just like my SR upper!