Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2016, 10:43 AM

Default knowledge needed

Hello all...is there a reference somewhere on how to use a Unertl external adjustment scope? I've inherited one on a fine rifle...would like to learn how to use the dang thing...thanks all ~Mike
Old 07-11-2016, 12:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Saluki

Well the basics.

The scope if set up correctly should be moving in 1/4" increments. If you make the eye piece move down, then your POI will move down as well. Just like if you need to come right on your windage, you move the scope eye piece to the right.

The parallax is adjusted up at the objective end of the scope. to adjust for a target that is farther away from you, move the objective towards the rear of the scope.

think of it like this...

Moving out is closer
Moving in is farther away

Do not oil these scope, as they are not sealed. If you oil these optics, the oil will creep into the body of the optic and you will be SOL. I use anti seize on the pope rail on mine and it seems to work well enough.

Oh..and a half turn past snug is all you need to secure the optic to the block. Don't ask me how I know that

Hope this helps with basics.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:13 AM

Default Thanks!

Thank you Saluki...a great start. Whats up with the recoil springs...do they just reset after each shot?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Saluki

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkyhorst View Post
Thank you Saluki...a great start. Whats up with the recoil springs...do they just reset after each shot?
If it is set up as a true M1941 sniper then the spring will NOT be on there. You have to manually push the scope forward after every shot to reset it. It gets to be normal and a part of your TTP's when shooting with it.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:14 AM

You have to pull it back.....unless something big is different where you live.... Good Shooting. ..
Old 07-12-2016, 10:09 AM

great thanks...as I thought. Its on a Rem 722 .222 rifle I inherited from a favorite, and now passed, uncle. I've got to get it to the bench to run some rounds though it. On a side note it was kept in a heavy smokers home and the front lens seems 'dirty'. I've used an optics spray and soft cloth with no change. Thanks so much for the info...greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:33 PM

I realize this is an older thread but hopefully still of interest.

About “oiling” the scope, how do you protect the metal exterior? Is a light wipe of oil OK or is that what leads to trouble?

My scope is very sticky, the rubber o ring that has the spring is dragging on the scope body, is there a way to lubricate that O ring so the scope can move forward without risking contamination of the scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post
Well the basics.

The scope if set up correctly should be moving in 1/4" increments. If you make the eye piece move down, then your POI will move down as well. Just like if you need to come right on your windage, you move the scope eye piece to the right.

The parallax is adjusted up at the objective end of the scope. to adjust for a target that is farther away from you, move the objective towards the rear of the scope.

think of it like this...

Moving out is closer
Moving in is farther away

Do not oil these scope, as they are not sealed. If you oil these optics, the oil will creep into the body of the optic and you will be SOL. I use anti seize on the pope rail on mine and it seems to work well enough.

Oh..and a half turn past snug is all you need to secure the optic to the block. Don't ask me how I know that

Hope this helps with basics.

My feedback thread
Old 08-06-2019, 05:45 AM

I keep a very light layer of oil on my scope, specifically where the mounts touch. I do this to promote the scope sliding, and it definitely slides more when oiled. I do this to try and lessen the shock of recoil. An old time shooter/gunsmith told me it was a good idea, so I followed his advice.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 08-06-2019, 05:56 AM

Do you put anything special around the rubber O-rings ?

Mine is very sticky I think is defeating the whole spring return and shock cushioning function .

My feedback thread
Old 08-06-2019, 07:06 AM

My Unertl scopes do not have any o-rings.