Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 PM

Default (fixed it) Question on Soft point Ammo.

We had another scare lately, where we had prisoners break out of the local police Barracks, and the police went looking. As typical our barracks are the holding point for most of the criminals heading up to Toms River where the county Jail is.

Anyways without my dad home i had no choice but to load my M1A with 150gr Prvi Partizan Soft point ammo. If i had 30-06 SP ammo i would have loaded the Garand.

My question is since it is a soft point will it be stopped by a human body if someone came in to the house, and was shot within 15 feet(give or take).

The problem is, the last time(time before) the the guy who broke out stole weapons from the barracks and was armed as he ran around the town, so its not so easy as a unarmed prisoner.

Im worried about the bullet going through him and through the walls, and 300 feet away across the woods the street and hitting a neighbor, etic.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jaw1947

Unless it is Frangible or a varmint construction it is gonna pass through. I've shot Eastern PA deer with 165gr sp with pass through both shoulders.
Regards,
John
Maybe 125 gr?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:55 PM

I just took a whitetail deer with 150gr soft point. It went in through the heart/lungs and right on through the opposite shoulder. A human won't stop that... well, maybe at long range? Perhaps another more suitable home defense weapon is in order?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 PM

There have been numerous recent discussions concerning overpenetration and home defense. The problem being that if you go so low in power as to be 100% guaranteed not to overpenetrate, you also increase the risk that your load will not stop an assailant. Personally, I think the risk of hitting anyone with a pass through round has been highly overstated in the past few years. You are dealing with possibilities versus probabilities. Possible? Sure, just about anything is. Probable? Unless you shoot the bad guy with your rifle while he is standing in front of a crowd, the probabilities of your bullet going through him, then through the drywall, then through your siding, across the street, through their siding, through their drywall, and then having a person just happening to be standing in the line of fire in that room, etc. . . . well, you try to figure the odds. My math isn't that good. Don't sweat your choice last time. The U.S. military found the 30-06 and the 7.62 to be pretty good "assailant stoppers". Most people I have talked to these days think a pump shotgun is the optimum home defense weapon. Large pellets can stop an intruder and will probably give you some peace of mind if you are still concerned about overpenetration.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:36 AM

+1 for the pump shotgun especially with #1 buckshot or 00 buckshot. I also have my Springfield XD .45 for backup. My Springfield M1 is my range rifle. I think that a rifle caliber, although unlikely to hurt anybody from penetrating your house, will probable go threw the purp like butter. From what I remember GIs would want to switch to the carbine in the Pacific sine the M2 round would go threw the enemy and the enemy would keep coming. The carbine round is more blunt and would unload more energy and cause more damage.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:16 AM

Default Cor-Bon DPX Hunter Ammunition .30 Carbine 100 Grain Barnes Triple-Shock X Bullets

I shot two deer with this round, it dropped one on the spot, the other ran a bit and then died. Neither round passed through. I have another post with a picture of the recovered round. With the front shot, the bullet was located about 18 inches inside the deer, hitting only one rib and numerous organs. The other was an above the shoulder shot, comeing from above; I did not recover this round. Whether Triple Shock will pass through a person, I am not sure due to different body masses.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:45 AM

at 15 feet? Any long gun you feel "safe" with for home defense is going through a human. Buckshot, rifle, it won't matter. but the exiting projectiles won't go down the block. A lot of pistols with the right ammo may stay in the body.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 AM

I loaded soft points because i know they mushroom, i just didn't know if the round would have such a velocity that even if it mushroomed it would still keep going out the other side, ide rather drop him dead then wound him,

ide live to get a Carbine, but here in the USSRNJ they are illegal, and a pistol is on my list, but im not 21 yet.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 PM

Good reason to buy a bayonet for the M1. You can't shoot him, stick him. Maybe some snake loads at close range. They seems to pack a wallop out of my 44 magnum.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 PM

+1 for close range (15 ft) on bird shot.

I have treated a few people for gun shot wounds when I was in Detroit.

NOT impressed with 9mm. To many people walking into the E.R. with multiple 9mm/380/.32 wounds.

.22, not much better, but often better shot placement.

.45, 10mm, 40 S&W, much more effective. Nobody walking with a body hit in .45.

.357 mag, .44 mag no survivors, but few in the sample.

12 ga, buck or bird, room temp on arrival, VERY messy. Close range bird shot creates such massive tissue trauma that there is just nothing to repair, but penetration past about 100 feet is poor, heavy clothing can soak up a good bit of the force at 100 ft as well. #1 or 00 probably most flexible.

As for people surviving hits with 06 type rounds, FMJ or soft point, the amount of energy that these rounds carry makes me doubt that any center mass hit at close or medium range would have a good outcome.

Fortunately the 06 was not a popular round in the "D".

No law suits from dead perps either, but they can still vote.