Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Default Us m1917

Perhaps members might offer some input regarding value of this rifle. Receiver (482XXX), barrel (11-18) and stock are Winchester, bolt is Remington, and the rest Eddystone. Stock and handguards are birch...in excellent condition, and bore is absolutely pristine. TG screws are no longer staked, and all metal is parkerized...finish about 98% intact. Rifle was bought here in Sitka, Alaska several year ago, and I suspect it may have been amongst those issued to the Alaska Territorial Guard early in WW2. Many thanks for any thoughts on the subject.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:48 PM

Ant import stamps?
Pics would help alot.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 PM

I have a simple formula for 1917s. Complete in good condition $300. Barrel condition is very important. A new barrel I install costs me $200. I might pay $500 for a 17 that is really, really good. Parts are readily available to make them correct, so I won't pay much of a premium for "correct ones. Might also add that CMP got more for theirs than the real world market did, IMO. Good Shooting....

Last edited by ceresco; 11-30-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 PM

There aren't any import stamps, and I really didn't expect to find any. I'd bought the rifle from an older gentleman who'd owned it just about forever. During the early stages of WW2 the US Government established the Alaska Territorial Guard, and amongst the arms furnished were US M1917s. The ATG was copmosed almost exclusively of native peoples (in this area Tlingit), and since subsistance hunting is very much a part of their culture, most of the '17s found their way back to tribal communities after the war. I've seen several locally in various stages of bubba-dom...cut down stocks etc. In any case, I'm not looking to sell the rifle, but simply wanted to establish a value for insurance purposes. As to adding W parts to "correct" this rifle, I won't. If, as I suspect, this '17 was part of Sitka's ATG allotment, it will remain in its present configuration. Sorry I can't help with any pictures at the moment, but my e-skills in this area are really dismal. Will see if I can coax the lady of the house into snapping some shots and getting them into this forum.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 PM

A mixmaster M1917 will go for $400-500, in average condition. With a pristine barrel, you might be closer to $600-650.

The stock is what I'm not sure about. Weren't the originals walnut?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 PM

Default Us m1917

I believe all the original stocks, be they Winchester, Remington or Eddystone, were indeed walnut, and that the birch installations (as well as parkerizing) originated with the intetwar rebuild programs. What surprised me about this particular birch stock was the W imprint on its nose...didn't think Winchester produced any birch stocks.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
A mixmaster M1917 will go for $400-500, in average condition. With a pristine barrel, you might be closer to $600-650.

The stock is what I'm not sure about. Weren't the originals walnut?
The stocks were birch on some real late rifles.

J.B.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:00 AM

Appreciate the info regarding the stock...it answers my question regarding Winchester manufacture. Given the barrel date I have to wonder whether this rifle went straight from the factory into storage, until the 1917s were refurbished and eventually reissued...Lend Lease, selected US units etc. Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:21 PM

I think you're simple formula above will equate to you never owning another 1917.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM

I just bought winchester early stared rifle with a later barrel that was a sewer pipe. most of the major parts matched. I gladly paid 400 for it. It is totally mint except for that barrel.

Thats my formula. (eddystone+winchester)=E+W -R when it should read E+R+W= 100% where R = Remington.

Dont feel bad Ceresco. I blame the public school system. And I was a math teacher! so its not your fault