Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 01:44 PM

Default A question on this ammo

Yesterday while nosing around in the garage, I came upon a box that was packed a couple of moves ago. Digging through some reloading equipment, several different caliber handgun ammo boxes, an old Timex watch that started running after I wound the stem, I came upon about 200 rnds of some .30/06 ammo I bought perhaps 20 or so years ago. The ammo is in a white cotton MG belt. The headstamp is 30 08 over FNB. After checking "Headstamp Codes On Small Arms Ammunition", I came up with it being mgf. at the Deutsche Waffen-U. Munitionsfabrique A-G facility in Herstal Belgium, under German occupation [ex FN].

In all outward appearances, this looks like all other M2 Ball. But, not knowing what the components are, I now question how safe this would be in one of my Garands.

My question is, has anyone here ever shot any of this ammo? Is it safe for the Garand?

Apparently the 30 is a code for the location of mfg, what about the 08?

Thanks for any and all input you care to share.
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan

Last edited by H.S. Mantooth Jr.; 12-06-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:39 PM

30-06 ammo from Belgium? 08? Like in 1908? In a machine gun belt. I don't think I'd shoot it. Might have some collector value. I have a friend who collects ammo. I'll e-mail him this page and see what he thinks.

Another thing, some machine gun ammo was loaded hotter than the standard round. I know that the Japanese did this in WWII. I ran into some of this stuff in the late 60's. I wanted to run it through my Jap 7.7 bring back. The standard stuff, commercial, had a nice push to it when fired but this surplus stuff kicked like a ********ed off mule. Flat primers and had to extract. Luck for me the early 7.7 were stronger than a Mauser or I might have had a really bad day.
I vote not to shoot.
J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 12-06-2009, 04:31 PM

J.R. 2009;

Thanks for the come back. I really doubt this ammo is from 1908, but the 08 has me stumped. It is in too great of condition, better than some of the HXP I've seen, IMO that is. It is brassed cased, the bullet is a FMJ that does NOT attract a magnet. There are no signs of tarnish or corrosion anywhere. The primer has a dark purple sealant around the brass colored primer. I just checked the headstamp under a magnifying glass and I noticed a period before the 30, like this [.30].

Along with the 08 on the headstamp, it being mfg in Belgium under German occupation has thrown me a curve. The above info came from the Small Arms Ammo Headstamp Codes site. My references on different ammo is limited, that's why I brought it up here. I bought this ammo at The Old West gun shop in the El Cerrito/Albany area of the S.F. East Bay.

Thanks J.R. for offering to ask your friend about the ammo.
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to rochund

I'd sit tight,
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 PM

I have some FNB in .303 British, the box, but not the case, says 86, lot xx. So your ammo was probably made in 1980, non-corrisive berdan.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
I have some FNB in .303 British, the box, but not the case, says 86, lot xx. So your ammo was probably made in 1980, non-corrisive berdan.
Bean Counter;

Since it was bought 20 + yrs ago, a mfg date of 1980 sounds logical, but I wonder why the 0 & 8 are transposed? And, if it was made in 1980, why did the site say made in Herstal Belgium under German occupation?

I suppose I've got too inquisitive a mind .

Thanks all for your replies.
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 PM

If it's packed in cloth belts it was not made in 1980. You migth go to 1919A4.com forums and post an inquiry there as there are a lot of knowledgable folks there that have likely shot that ammo in their guns and can give you a report on it. I suspect it's WW II era manufacture and the 08 may be a plant number. The Germans did a lot of that kind of marking. But it's probably corrosive at any rate. Someone over there might be interested in the belt more than the ammo too.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 PM

medalguy;

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate the info you've given me, so I guess I'll give it a try.
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 PM

I'm the one JR2009 referred to above, a cartridge pac rat. I am not an expert on the .30 but I have the experts book in front of me, Chris Punnett's 30-06. The FNB on the headstamp refers to the Fabique Nationale-Browning phase which began in 1977, the .30 for the caliber and the 08 must mean 1980 but if it is backward, if the bunter was reversed, backward or the like, then you would have something of more value and interest than regular stuff. This should be ball rounds, 150 gr, GM jacket, brass case and brass primer with a maroon annulus. If the case reacts to a magnet we have something else.

Chris indicates there was no production of 30-06 (or .30) during the WWII years, by FN. I will send this on to Chris and see what he might add.

There is no indication that this is anything stronger than regular ammo. It was not uncommon to see standard velocity ammo loaded for machineguns.

A picture of the headstamp would be very helpful.

Last edited by Buggsy; 12-08-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 AM

I've done more research and the more I do, based on what you said, the more I think you have miss-read the date. Check out this;

Example d. should be what you have. Note the way the date is written. Could it be you read the date, 08, backward? I feel strongly this is 1980 ammo.

Someone suggested the fact that this is web-belted ammo would make it older but it is very common to find belted ammo that was belted by some individual. I can't find anything that convinces me this is WWII or older ammo but, then again, I have not seen the stuff or the headstamp yet.