Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 12:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

If you crimp (and I don't), use a separate crimp die and a separate operation. Some bottleneck seater dies really do not have a crimp shoulder built in (hint - crimping is unnecessary). Thus, forcing what feels like a crimp can actually push the neck straight back, and bulge the shoulder, which is not well supported in the seater die. This recently happened to a friend of mine, who then went to the range with ammunition that would not chamber.

Seater dies for cartridges intended for tube mags (e.g., .30-30, .375 Win, .45-70, etc.) usually have a crimp shoulder.
ACEP-certified coach

Last edited by rcolarco; 12-09-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Might be wrong, but I don't think Lee makes taper crimp dies for bottle neck rifle cartridges. I only crimp when pushing bullets into the bench moves them--and that doesn't happen often. Experimented with the Lee Factory crimp dies and got inconsistent results. Good Shooting.......

Last edited by ceresco; 12-09-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 PM

I have Lee taper crimp dies for .224 and ,308 caliber. They are generic dies that could be adjusted and used with several cartridges of the appropriate caliber.

It appears that Lee has discontinued them in favor of the factory crimp dies. Separate rifle taper crimp dies are not listed on the Lee web site

Lee pistol crimp dies are still available.

I crimp in a separate operation, mostly because I got in the habit of it back when seater dies only came with roll crimps. Taper crimp dies had to be purchased separately. At least for rifle cartridges, it allows me to crimp or not without disturbing the setting on my seater die.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

I received a factory crimp die with a set of Lee dies for the .30-40. I tried it with a .300 Win Mag case, and it worked. Looks like it should work with any .30 caliber case that is long enough to reach the crimp part. Should make a nice paperweight.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 12-13-2009, 04:01 AM
Banned

Been loading for my rifle, exclusively, for about 30 years without a crimp.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 AM

I only use a crimp when loading any round for a tube magizine. 30-30 or 44 mag for my Ruger carbine. I also use the Lee factory taper crimp. I have also used the crimp from the Lee 30-06 die set on my 30-30 rounds. Seemed to work OK.
Larry G
LIVE FREE OR DIE
Old 12-13-2009, 04:27 PM

Could be wrong again but I don't think Lee makes a "factory taper crimp" die. Also tried a 30-06 "factory crimp die and the 30-30 case doesn't come anywhere near the crimp ring--the 30-40 doesn't reach that high either. I routinely use factory cimp dies for odd purposes--but they have to contact the case to work. Would also like to know how old those Lee taper crimp rifle dies are. I have been loadin a long time--never saw them. Good Shooting Addendum--Found a 2004 Lee catalog. There are ideed many taper crimp dies for common rifle cartridges as some of you have discribed. Lee says in the add that all their crimp dies from 1986 on have been "modified taper crimp"--whatever that means. Good Shooting..........

Last edited by ceresco; 12-13-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 PM

Bullet Crimps, Why?

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...sics/crimp.cfm

More reading on crimps (taken from the SPEER web site - FAQ)......

Quote:

Q.
The rifle bullet I'm loading has a crimp groove, but the cartridge length recommended puts the groove out of the case. Should I change the seating length to make the crimp groove line up.

A.
No. Not all rifle cartridges require crimping. The groove on the bullet is positioned for those that need the crimp. If the recommended seating length puts the crimp groove above or below the case mouth, we determined that crimping was not needed. Having the crimp groove above or below the case mouth has no adverse effects on accuracy or performance.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Q.
I'm reloading 30-30 ammo for my lever-action rifle. Do I need to crimp the bullets.

A.
Yes, crimping is mandatory for ammo to be used in any rifle with a tubular magazine. The pressure of the magazine spring and the vibration of recoil can cause the bullet to "telescope" into the case, resulting in poor feeding and increased pressure. When loading for a tubular magazine rifle, always select a bullet with a crimp groove, and one that has a flat point to prevent in-magazine firing.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Q.
I bought a reloading die set and there’s a note with the dies that says something like, “Speer does not recommend using their bullets with these dies.” What’s the deal?

A.
Speer never made such a broad recommendation. Speer’s recommendation is: Do not apply a crimp to any bullet that does not have a crimp groove. The die company in question markets a die to produce a “factory crimp” and recommends it be used on any bullet. Speer’s tests, and those by another bullet maker and an independent gun writer, show that crimping a bullet that doesn’t have a crimp groove degrades group size by an average of 40 percent. Other than the crimp die, we have no problem with our bullets in that firm’s dies, although our preference is for RCBS® products.

We express ours thanks to the die maker for allowing us to make contact with so many new SPEER customers.

Aloha, Mark
Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Would also like to know how old those Lee taper crimp rifle dies are. I have been loadin a long time--never saw them. Good Shooting .
I started loading 30-06 in 1999 and purchased my Lee 30 caliber die in that time frame. I started loading 223 Remington in 2001 and purchased my Lee .224 taper crimp die at that time.

I rarely use the .224 die at present, but it is nice to have if I feel the need.