Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 PM

cresco

+1 on Sharpe's book. I have the second edition (1941). Great information.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra77mk View Post
The compound used in corrosive primers makes them more reliable especially in cold weather. I guess that makes the primers more stable so they don't degrade/oxidize and are more reliable than non corrosive primers when stored for years.
The Russian-Polish-Bulgarian 1980's surplus 5.45x39 on the current market is corrosive. I guess longterm storage and cold weather reliability was more important to the Communists than barrel life.
They may still use corrosive primers in Russia far all we know.
I figured something like that.
Everything has a down side, if you know what I mean. So, when I heard that corrosive primers had longer shelf-life, I figured that's why manufacturers kept making them. They were interested in long term reliablility of the ammo. And since the military didn't really care about barrel wear (they'd just replace the barrels), the "downside" of those primers being corrosive was negated.
I wouldn't shoot corrosive ammo in my tanker and Greek Garand if I didn't have to, but, I wouldn't shy away from it if that's all that was available, either.
An extra step in cleaning with water isn't too big a problem - unless you're in the desert. And I ain't peeing in my rifle!