Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 PM

Question .303 ammo

I have recently acquired two Lee-Enfields. After test firing both i've found them to be resonably accuate, and a whole lotta fun to boot! So now I'm looking to buy a couple hundred rounds. The best prices I've found are on Sellier & Bellot and Prvi Partizan. Anyone have any experience/preference with these brands? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:43 PM

the Prvi is without much doubt, MUCH better in overall quality than the S&B. The S&B brass is doo-doo for reloading (very brittle).

The absolute finest commercial ammo ever made for .303 is the "Wolf Gold" (either weight 150 or 180) (pretty sure it is made by Prvi also).
Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 AM

I have 2 enfields(1-3, 4-2) and my son just bought his first one which was a 1 -3, He bought some pakenstanian 303 at a gun show the other day that is simply sorry, frequent delay fires. Because of cost we are reloading. We are using winchester brass, with 39 grains of 4064 pushing a 174 grain interlock hornandy bullet with good acuracy. minus the cost of the brass we are spending under 40 cents per round. I have been looking for some less expensive full metal jacket but havent come up with any.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:54 AM

I have posted before that the .303 British is one cartridge where handloading really pays off. Reasons are--virtually no good mil surp ammo.......and don't shoot the cordite rounds if you value your barrel. Case life is extreamly short unless you neck size, dedicate the brass to one rifle and keep your loads moderate. Without going into the technical reasons, I suggest the 123gr Winchester PP .311 diameter bullet and moderate loads of IMR3031, 4895 etc. Do not FL size until necessary and don't move the case shoulder back more than needed to allow easy chambering. Good Shooting.......
Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the advice on the loads. I have noticed that new 303 brass is pretty much form fitting to the individual rifle. I didnt realize it until I did a double take on the difference between some new brass that I had not loaded yet and some that I had resized.The eyes can fool you sometimes but that is why we have calipers so you know that you arent just seeing things.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:56 PM

I have a SMLE Mk III * that I have shot for 30 years. I use Prvi Partizan only and have had excellent results with it. I can not remember one fail to fire or hang fire in the 900 plus rounds I have used in this weapon.
Stargazer
Old 12-30-2009, 02:00 PM

Prvi Partizan is much better than S&B. I mostly buy only Prvi Partizan brand ammo for my rifles. My only complaint is that is a little dirty compared to some US made ammo and some of its calibers are loaded a little light.

And yes wolf gold ammo is made by Prvi Partizan and boxed as wolf gold.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

ive shot the surplus british indian pakistani for years/bought it by the wooden crate in the 90s,,, 25% is junk the rest goes off just fine, as with any corrosive ammo you clean it good it doesnt do any harm,,
Old 12-30-2009, 02:09 PM

OK, so can anyone recommend any good sources for the PRVI or Wolf Gold? Sure can't find it in stores around here.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
OK, so can anyone recommend any good sources for the PRVI or Wolf Gold? Sure can't find it in stores around here.
Here's a place to start http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.303_British No one seems to have the Wolf Gold.