Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Banned

Default Ammo, best bang for your buck....

So being an avid shooter I can say that when it comes to ammo I'm probably ranked right there with every other novice on the planet when it comes to selection. There are most likely 3 things that drive my needs and given the simple fact sometimes I just want to go sling some lead doesn't help the situation or me for that matter. So in order below here are the 3 rules that usually drive my purchases when my ammo is running low.

1. Price, yep its all about the mighty dollar and I want to get as much as I can for as little as possible.
2. Availability, I do not want to drive 40 miles to save .13 cents per hundred rounds...really not that important to me and yes I know it goes completely against rule #1.
3. Accuracy, this should probably be number 1 on the list because it usually means good ammo, clean ammo and gives me a good idea of how my weapon functions as well as myself but just like the majority of us I squeeze off the fist 10 do some measurements and some quick math and understand my super nice (AR,Bolt gun, pistol or whatever) ends up being in a 2-3 inch circle and I quickly surmise that at 100 yards (estimate) I could fill most anything full of holes and pretty much enjoy doing it.

So here's my question given the fact an ordinary person would have a tough time explaining to his significant other why he elected to spend $200 on bullets, if you could and need them what, kind would you purchase. Are we going for down and dirty quick and easy Wally World or are we going online to purchase something a little better?

So let's list them, who is the mfg, what kind are you buying and from whom are you purchasing from? And just like school show your work when you comment, why do you like it, what performance characteristics are you going to brag about .19 MOA my butt. So it really is BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK QUESTION!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:37 PM

Caliber and use?

Answer those first..... it’ll drive the boat.

Caliber: 223? 30-06?

Use as in hunting? Plinking? Competition? Self defense?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:08 AM

As Gewehr noted, a few more specifics would allow more specific answers.
As far as where to purchase I can recommend SG ammo and Palmetto state armory as a couple I use more often than not. Price and selection of specific ammo is why I use them when I need to buy. I generally load my own.
As with most things putting a few minutes of research into it should produce acceptable results. I haven’t looked at them for quite some time but iirc ammoseek and gunbot are still pretty popular.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

If you're talking 30.06 I have been surprised with Sellier & Bellot(Garand specific) for accuracy and cost.
At a cost of around .70 a round I find it to be a decent price for new ammo. I haven't tried reloading the cases but have heard good reports.
I get weekly emails from Target Sports on ammo and like the free shipping with their items. Here is a current listing of the S&B there....400/$280 with free shipping.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/sell...eid=b2b81c7c4a
Old 10-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Banned

My calibers 5.56, 45 amp, 357 sig, 9mm, 308 and toss in a 300 win mag around hunting season! I would go broke on supplies and still not have the time to re-load plus I could just imagine doing that would go Hand in hand with drinking a few cold ones YIKES. Like the shirt says....not my fault I was left un-attended.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:37 PM

Currently up at sgammo, .45acp, S&B 230 gr fmj, $249.80 + 25.00 ship per 1,000. 46.00 shipping if ya buy 2 cases.
The CCI blazer brass was a better deal at $229.80 but currently out of stock.
Aluminum case Federal for $229.50 + 22.00 ship if that’s your thing.

1000 round case - 223 Rem 55 Grain FMJ Brass Case Non-magnetic WOLF GOLD AR-15 Ammunition $262.90 plus ship.
Temporary Sale - 1000 Round Case - 223 Rem 55 grain FMJ Brass Case Ammo by Fiocchi - 223A. $263.80 plus ship.
9mm, too many cheap ones to list.

Palmetto State Armory, Prvi M193, 1,000 rounds, $279.99, free shipping.
Federal .308 Gold Medal Match 168 or 175 gr, $16.99 and free ship if ya buy 10 boxes.

Now is a pretty good time to lay in some cheap plinking ammo and even some quality ammo. There are some really decent deals to be had if ya keep an eye out.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:05 PM

Gunbot is my source for who has inexpensive ammunition for sale.

It has been a reasonably reliable source of information.

Then, if you are shooting anything beyond small volumes of ammunition and not reloading you are missing out on “savings” if you have interest in shooting that involves accuracy.

Target, match, long range hunting and other similar shooting disciplines require either expensive store bought ammo, or that you reload for half to a third the price.

If your shooting is for other reasons than inexpensive ammo negates the cost benefit of reloading, although it’s still fun. Only thing to do in the six months of a Minnesota winter

All the best.

John
Old 10-18-2018, 02:35 PM

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi...an-p-3573.aspx

here's what i just bought $229 shipped for 500 privi

its the only ammo ive used on my m1 garand and shoots well. i shoot 65 yards and it patterns well at that distance

i cant find a better price