Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonspoint View Post
The MAR-177 is out!! I got mine on Saturday and have not had a chance to shoot it. Upon inspection it looks really good. Seems very substantial and looks like it will really help me. I can set of a 10 meter range in my basement so I have a nice warm place to shoot. The only think that I'm going to do to it (that I know of now) is to change out the rear sight. I'm going to put on a 1/4x1/4 rear hooded sight and drop in a Bob Jones lense. Then it will be just like my SR upper!
Where did you get it from? I have one on order with Creedmoor, they said it should ship next week.

Creedmoor had an introductory offer up of $600. Crosman has them for $650. Pyramyd air wants $825. Quite a price difference there!

What are you doing for an air source? Did you get a bicycle-style pump, or a scuba tank?

Matt
Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 PM

I put it out of my mind for a while........but now I'm feeling the strong urge to get one of the CLE .22 uppers for my AR. My primary purpose will be for a trainer for High Power. But, I'm thinking that maybe I should get the "flat top" with a NM detachable carry handle so that I will have the option of attaching optics if wanted for other uses.

Do any of you guys have the NM detachable carry handle? Does that set-up work well? Are there any perceived (or real) differences between it and your A2 service rifle? How well do the sights or scope line up after being placed on/off/on? Is there much effort to re-sight after reinstallation?

One question that comes to mind is how does the scope work with the front sight post? Is the scope set up so high that it sights over the top of the front sight post?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 PM

Just got my mar 177 tonight. Ordered from creedmore. Still recovering from hurricane. No power. Will post report when I get a chance to try it out. But at 600 vs 1200. It's a no brainer. If it performs as they say. Plus can shoot in backyard or basement.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM

LASCSTEVE, that is a fine way to go. If you scope it you will need a rail that extends the scope forward...... or your face will be into the back of the scope prone and sitting.

Ryan V
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the response Ryan V.

Do you have this setup? I don't have any experience with a "flat top", so I'm just trying to make sure I don't order siomething that is not going to do everything that I expect it to.

What happens with the front sight, when attaching the scope or other optics? To have the flexibility of using optics, is it necessary to use a "flip-up" front sight?

As said earlier, my main purpose is to duplicate the look, feel, handling of my A2 Service Rifle for training.......but if it is not a huge compromise, I think I would like to have the option of attching optics for other uses.

Anybody got any thoughts here based on their experiences with the CLE .22LR Upper?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Do i have one?

I have a standard CLE 22 upper. I have a flat top NM 223 upper that is scoped, so yes and no. I think, except at low power the front sight tower disappears. It is not an issue.

Ryan V
Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 PM

I finally got a CLE .22LR upper about two weeks ago. Very nice! I haven't had an abundance of time to use it yet.....but I think I will get some valuable training time with it, and I think I will enjoy this addition to the stable.

So......my main question for you CLE .22 owners: what is the best way to lubricate the upper and bolt assembly? So far, I have used a light application of Tetra grease....but that dirty .22LR ammo does tend to gum things up fairly quickly.

What's the best lube or combination of things to keep it running good, and hopefully aid in keeping it cleaner.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:50 PM

I use CLP to lubricate the moving parts of the bolt assembly. I have also known for quite some time that my unit is ammunition sensitive. I believe it is due to the chamber reamer used in the barrel was a match reamer and therefore rather tight. I tested numerous brands and types of ammunition in an effort to find one that functioned and produced acceptable results on the target.
I am very pleased with the product and hope that you will be also.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:19 AM

Get dry lube for the 22lr. Most ammunition burns dirty and will gunk up the action requiring it to be cleaned very frequently. I use S&W dry lub and clean only when accuracy falls off. Before with CLP I would get trigger group failures, and fail to function, slam fires etc. Since using dry lube no more issues. Hoppes makes a spray dry lube.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:43 AM

Wife and I have them been using CLE .22 uppers for several years. Between the 2 uppers we have used just over 5,000 rounds, mostly for offhand practice. Frank said he has only seen 1 barrel get worn out at well over 100,000 rounds!

It is fantastic training tool for standing and will make you better because you will start to see your movement you are making during firing since there is no recoil. You will be able to develop a better trigger pull and follow through to make good calls. Ours are set up exactly as our service rifles.

The Federal 711B ammo is very accurate if you want to shoot prone, the Aguila Golden Eagle Target (from CMP) will work great in offhand being on call, but not so good for making ragged holes in the tiny 600 reduced prone target, 711B works great for that.

Used mine once this year, but since the wife went distinguished rifle last year, she's ready to sell hers (my mouth hit the floor--SELL--WHAT????)! Can't disagree since we only used them once or twice last year since we have more match venues and offhand has become a pretty strong stage for us.

The helped us both go distinguished rifle so they were invaluable at the time. We're getting into pistol to try to earn the other badge, so I guess they have to go.