Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > My Gun DB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 PM

Default Who's running My Gun DB on linux, or in an emulator? Need assist

I'd like to get away from this whole dual-boot thing, and I'd prefer to consolidate to linux vs. Windoze.

Anyway, Adobe quit supporting Air on linux with v.2.6. I've downloaded that version and attempted the install, but it's not going well despite the use of 'tricks' that 'the internet' says worked on older versions of my distribution.

So, I thought I'd try installing in Crossover, which is a well-developed implementation of Wine done by Codeweavers. I have a license and the current version is installed. Adobe Air is even a community-supported application on Crossover!

The struggle I'm having (this is probably so simple, but I'm not seeing what's up) is that when I try to click the install button on Internet Explorer (the one running in the emulator bottle I want to install into, which has AIR installed), it says it can't install and suggests I download the most current version. Trying the manual install downloads me a .zip file, but once I extract that file, I don't seem to have anything that AIR or 'windows' recognizes as an installer.

What am I missing? Anyone?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
suggests I download the most current version. Trying the manual install downloads me a .zip file, but once I extract that file, I don't seem to have anything that AIR or 'windows' recognizes as an installer.

What am I missing? Anyone?
I haven't used an emulator with it but the issue with your manual install is that your system is seeing the .air file as .zip (since .air uses a format of zip). Try renaming the .zip you downloaded to .air instead and use the AIR app installer. This shows the installation process as an example: http://www.linuxondesktop.in/2008/12...-and-some.html

Visit thew official support forum here: http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98
Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM

A-Ha! I'll try that tonight. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:27 PM

Well, I've got things running natively on linux. In the end, this is what I wanted to do anyway, more than running it Windows, inside an emulator on linux. Took me a bit to figure out what all I had to do to my particular linux distro & install version to make it work, but it's all up and running! Slightly slow at a couple points, but patience sees it execute correctly after the delay.

Thanks again for a great database program! Glad to have bought the unrestricted license!