Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 AM

Default Rock-Ola IwoJima bring back - REALLY!! 50 PICS Total...

Gentlemen and Ladies...I had a friend ask me if I knew anything about the M1 Carbine. Although there are plenty of you who have probably forgotten more about the Carbine than I could hope to learn, I had 8 and now own 5 and actually catalogued all the parts and and conditions of all my rifles. I had my friend bring down his Rock-Ola down today.

The rifle was a WWII bring back he inherited from his Grandfather, a Marine on Iwo Jima at the same time...within days...of the raising of the American Flag on Mt. Suribachi. It is documented by both a document by his GF's commanding officer and his late GF. It appear to be ALL Rock-Ola.

In addition to this fantastic rifle, he has a Rock-Ola 15rd magazine, a Samuri Sword (broken in two but with a bullet hole in it), a Jap flag and loads of documentation.

YES!!! We shot it!!!! A tight verticle string as my friend has never shot using irons. The third round was DEAD CENTER.

The Barrel cleaned up and shines like a mirror.

Guys (Gals)...The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up until I got to hold it. Then I almost wet my pants!!!

Here are the pics. If you have dial up, sorry. There are 40+ pics.

I have yet to sit down with the pics and the Reisch book to catalogue all the parts, markings etc.

Please feel free to pipe up on each and every part, it's version and condition. I told my friend not to dick with the gun as it's value is in its originality. My guess is that with it's provenance, it might bring as much as $2k. He told me it would be sold over his dead body. GOOD MAN!!

Oh yeah...he picked up a 30rd mag that is supposed to be original. I'm not too sure. I have a few pics. What about the mag? Real or repro??

Here are the pics:

OWNER

HACK APPRAISER/CLEANER

THE WOOD:

THE METAL:

Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 AM

Default Next 12 pix...

Yes. The hammer is in the white....

Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 AM

Default Next 12 pix....

Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 AM

Default ...and finally...the last 11....

The supposed 30RD USGI MAGAZINE:

Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 AM

Excellent

I collect stories like this, about to publish vol III of Vet Bring Backs and getting stories for Vol IV / give full credit to the owner, etc

email if interested.

Ed
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
Excellent

I collect stories like this, about to publish vol III of Vet Bring Backs and getting stories for Vol IV / give full credit to the owner, etc

email if interested.

Ed
I'll let my friend know. I'm sure he'd love to share the story, pics of all the memorabilia plus all of his documentation. Way too much to list here.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 AM

Great story, thanks for sharing. The photos are a real bonus. That's a real treasure.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 AM

Talking Wow~

Thanks for sharing! My father served on Iwo Jima (landed D-Day +6). I have his memorabilia including a pre-invasion planning map, a minefield map he was issued, a deactivated Type 97 Japanese grenade, and other items. My dad carried a 1943 Inland on Iwo, and I felt fortunate to come into possession of an un-messed with, all original 12-43 Inland that was probably a vet bring back, as it came from the estate of an elderly WW II combat vet whose family could never remember a time when he didn't have it.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 AM

What a teriffic carbine and story! Thanks for posting the pics.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 AM

If you are worried abouts the parts, I would not! The only thing I would question is the Underwood hammer and to be honest, I`d leave it alone. Nice rifle!