Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Muzzle wear was just a hair over 1. Call it 1.3
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Beautiful Rock-Ola, and I would never ever change a thing.

The round Rock-Ola bolt was intermixed with the flat bolt in this range and has a very good chance of being original to the carbine.

It has what appears to be the long face, plain mag catch? It would be interesting to know if it's coded to Rock-Ola, as it has been known to show up later than expected.

As for the hammer, my personal belief is that we do not have all of the laterally provided parts documented.

Thanks very much for sharing. Truly the ultimate goal of every carbine collector.

A photo of the butt plate would also be appreciated.

Last edited by dbarn; 02-09-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 AM

I did a quick strip and inspection on the rifle so we could go shoot it. Man that was cool!!

I didn't pull the recoil plate, butt plate, mag catch, safety and their internals. I'm hoping I will get an opprotunity to do that in the near future. I would then like to use a real camera instead of my Iphone. This will make it a lot easier to get crisp clear shots of all the parts...even the tiny ones. Then I'm going to write up a complete spec sheet for him.

I didn't see any manufacturers mark on the 30 round mag my friend bought after he got the rifle. It was wrapped in that oily heavy wax paper but no markings on the mag or the wrapper. I think he ended up with a repro.

I gave him one of my Inland 15 round mags so the Rock-Ola he got will also remain pristine.

He'll be up on this thread soon. He just joined the forums

What an honor this was for me.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 AM

Pics of the Japanese sword???

Many Japanese soldiers carried family heirloom swords to war with them...some of these blades were VERY old (200-500 years old)...and some are worth TENS of thousands of dollars...if not more...depending on the swordsmith who made it.

Broken in half huh? How did that happen??? Very unfortunate. It could very well be worth ten times what the Carbine is worth.

Either way, If you would like to know more about the blade, post photos of the TANG of the blade (the part of the blade underneath the handle). There should be Japanese characters chiseled into the metal...like this:

In order to take the handle off of the blade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1ENe07nHDM

Your handle may be a little tougher to get off, but it will come off.

MOST IMPORTANT THING - DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN OR SHARPEN THE BLADE OR THE TANG IN ANY WAY!!! A light coat of mineral oil on the blade is all you should do.

I look forward to seeing pics!

Here is my 1780s made Japanese sword captured during WWII (Captured from the disguised Japanese "hospital" ship Tachibana Maru on August 7th or 8th 1945...right after the bomb was dropped).

Before professional restoration:

After professional restoration:

With my 1943 Standard Products M1:

And awesome rock-ola carbine! Good on you for the discovery!

Last edited by DaveM4P99; 02-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Wow!

Jeff will be signing in soon.

More goodness to come!!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM

We've got an old Japanese short sword brought back by a GI who fought in the Pacific theater in WWII. It has characters on the tang similar to those posted above. I'd sure like to have an expert tell me about it. Who could tell me if I sent pics?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Hey Southfork.

I replied to your private message...Definitely send me photos, or post photos here in this thread.

Send or post photos of the characters on the tang, and any photos of the whole sword, if you can. Make the photos as clear as possible..

If it is a valuable blade, it would probably be worth restoring professionally. The most important thing: DO NOT CLEAN or try to polish / sharpen the blade or tang in any way. A light coat of mineral oil applied with a soft cloth or tissue is all you should do to stop any active red rust.

See the YOUTUBE link in my post above to guide you in removing the handle, so you can expose the tang.

I look forward to helping you with this!

Dave
Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Excellent Rock-ola. The Underwood hammer could very well be a wartime replacement, so I wouldn't worry about it. Has I am sure you already know, the 30-rounder is post-war aftermarket.

Congrats on a beautiful carbine.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFuelBurner View Post
Wow!

Jeff will be signing in soon.

More goodness to come!!
Are you a member of the Carbine Club, JetFuelBurner? This Rock-Ola would be an excellent candidate for a "Carbine of the Month" feature in a CC newsletter, IMO

Member since 2005

Old 02-10-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn View Post

As for the hammer, my personal belief is that we do not have all of the laterally provided parts documented
Oh thank you for saying that. I feel the same way. Nothing to do with this gun, but people need to know that these books are not all correct, and most of the paper trail about lateral support is not written down. I just proved this on EC ammo in another thread.
Beautiful gun.