Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Nice looking piece of equipment you have there Art. I'm not too familiar with the new Savage line, did the rifle come with that stock?
Randy
Old 01-22-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD CORPS View Post
Nice looking piece of equipment you have there Art. I'm not too familiar with the new Savage line, did the rifle come with that stock?
Randy
The main stock and magazines yes. I added the muzzle brake and changed out the butt stock to something adjustable and solid.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:19 PM

My JRA M14 came in last Wednesday. Beautiful rifle. The oprod is out of spec. Rifle failed tilt test with a lot of resistance when retracting bolt to the rear. I contacted Jeff at Bula and should have a new one soon. Excited to get to the range and see what it can do. I'm planning on picking up a Sadlak airborne mount and running a SWFA 3.5-15by42 on it.

Last picture shows oprod alignment. The rifle also came with a NM rear sight which i was pleased with but the aperture has a lot of play from left to right. i installed a new sight base cover hoping it would help but it didn't. Hopefully Bula send me another otherwise I will have to try and peen the rack or base.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 PM

Looking good. That op rod alignment is not that bad. Hope your new op rod takes care of the problem. I am sure you will get things the way you want them shortly.
Good luck and lets see some nice range reports.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 02-14-2018, 06:56 PM

I originally thought it wasn't a big deal until i spent an hour trying to get the oprod off. I was finally able to the next day with the help of two others (one of which was a gunsmith) We had to use a flat head screwdriver to lightly pry in between the oprod and receiver while giving the oprod some taps with a rubber mallet. Smithy told me the oprod tab may have been a bit over sized. I pulled the USGI oprod off of my unlce's M1A and installed it on my rifle and the action was perfect! Either way it looks like Bula is taking the necessary steps to make it right so I'm still a happy camper and pleased with my purchase. The guys down at my LGS were drooling over it when it came out of the case. Ill post a range report once i get it to the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Looking good. That op rod alignment is not that bad. Hope your new op rod takes care of the problem. I am sure you will get things the way you want them shortly.
Good luck and lets see some nice range reports.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by tyler9274; 02-14-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9274 View Post
I originally thought it wasn't a big deal until i spent an hour trying to get the oprod off. I was finally able to the next day with the help of two others (one of which was a gunsmith) We had to use a flat head screwdriver to lightly pry in between the oprod and receiver while giving the oprod some taps with a rubber mallet. Smithy told me the oprod tab may have been a bit over sized. I pulled the USGI oprod off of my unlce's M1A and installed it on my rifle and the action was perfect! Either way it looks like Bula is taking the necessary steps to make it right so I'm still a happy camper and pleased with my purchase. The guys down at my LGS were drooling over it when it came out of the case. Ill post a range report once i get it to the range.
Beautiful rifle and stock, really hope you enjoy it...Now I am drooling too at it?I'll be watching for your range report too, as one of Bula's creations are on my big list..
Old 02-15-2018, 10:28 PM

OP: How’s the op rod guide alignment? Can you take a pic?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:32 PM

Straight and narrow in the picture taken. Only way to properly line up the piston and oprod is to shift the oprod guide all the way to the left while looking at it from the same angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
OP: How’s the op rod guide alignment? Can you take a pic?
Old 02-15-2018, 11:31 PM

Tyler; I have built many 14's and I agree with Art you op rod alignment it not bad. I have seen much worse and the rifles shot fine. If the sights look right and you can get a reasonable mechanical zero I would shoot it. You indicated that with a new op rod the tilt test was good so my guess you have your problem As for take down remember that the M-1A won't take down like a real m-14 will as there is not real take down slot like a 14 has. Good shooting my friend.
Randy
Old 02-16-2018, 10:09 AM

The op rod is not that far off from the tail of the gas cylinder. If the barrel is knurled or has the splines in the op rod guide area, the guide woud have to be seated with op rod installed and aligned with gas cylinder. Then the op rod guide would have to be pounded in. If it is s a standard barrel, the guide would be loose until the roll pin was installed. Is it possible that the assembler tapped the roll pin and turned the guide? I McGyvered a jig to keep the op rod lined up with the gas cylinder while punching in that roll pin.