Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2018, 06:10 PM

Another question...

I mostly use iron sights ( garands, kar98s, enfields, 1903s, etc) and i have little experience with scopes. I've researched many and found that Leupold, nikon, and vortex are popular on this platform. What would you guys recommend as a good entry level scope? Once again, Id be shooting at 1-600 yards so i don't need the hubble telescope on top of the rifle.

I'm leaning towards the sadlak airborne scope mount for a JRA/Bula M14
Old 01-20-2018, 06:19 PM

Leupold VXR-Patrol in 1.25 - 4 is a good all around scope for the M14 and is in an intermediate price range. This one is mounted with ARMS #22 quick detach rings. Best of both worlds. This photo was posted earlier but now we are talking scopes.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by nf1e; 01-20-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9274 View Post
What would you guys recommend as a good entry level scope? Once again, Id be shooting at 1-600 yards so i don't need the hubble telescope on top of the rifle.
Take a look at SWFA SS scopes; entry-level pricing with high-end glass. I've got four. The one in the photo above is the 1-4x24 Tactical. Also have a 6x42 on another M14 clone. A 10X42 and 16x42 sit on bolt rifles. High quality glass, and accurate turrets.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:20 PM
Banned

The VX•R 1.5-5x33mm Scout on my Blackfeather has a 1 MOA illuminated FireDot.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:03 AM

I like Nightforce scopes
Old 01-21-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
I like Nightforce scopes
I have been tempted to try one. Every time I check the CMP estore I have to fight my clicker finger to hold back or one would join all my Leupolds.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:08 PM

Hello Art; Thanks for the reply I'm not much on computer things this is a first for me. You are correct about barrels. Kreiger went through a spell where there was some definite issues with quality, my guess is they tried too hard to push out product and did not put in the extra time to make them top quality. They seemed to have fixed that problem as the new stuff is as good as their old product. But I have shot Douglas barrels that would shoot 1/2 minute too so shows me there is also just a bit of luck involved as well. As a Brother Jarhead my guess is you have had some time behind an M-14, so there is nothing I would need to explain to you. My next project is vintage sniper. Thought I would try my hand at that. So I'm building an A-4 and a 1941. Hope to at least one done by Perry.
Semper Fi
Randy
Old 01-21-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD CORPS View Post
Hello Art; Thanks for the reply I'm not much on computer things this is a first for me. You are correct about barrels. Kreiger went through a spell where there was some definite issues with quality, my guess is they tried too hard to push out product and did not put in the extra time to make them top quality. They seemed to have fixed that problem as the new stuff is as good as their old product. But I have shot Douglas barrels that would shoot 1/2 minute too so shows me there is also just a bit of luck involved as well. As a Brother Jarhead my guess is you have had some time behind an M-14, so there is nothing I would need to explain to you. My next project is vintage sniper. Thought I would try my hand at that. So I'm building an A-4 and a 1941. Hope to at least one done by Perry.
Semper Fi
Randy
It's all fun Randy. I have an A-4 repro by James River and really enjoy shooting AR-500 prairie dogs at 150 yds. My practice day ends when I can knock down 12 in a row. If you shoot the old bolt 06 much, you know that you don't want to do a lot from the prone so I try to make every shot count like we were taught in the Corps.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 01-21-2018, 10:57 PM

Right on Art. The Corps is the last of the services that teach real marksmanship. I made the shoot off twice at Camp Perry shooting 1,000yds with the M1a. But always the brides maid but never the bride. Now days I can't see through that .520 peep any more. I still shoot a few 600 yd belly matches now and then. I have an 8x Unertl on my '03 and that baby will flat lay them in there. Been looking for a 330 Weaver or a 71b for my a4, settled on a 2.5 Weaver for now. Still fun.
Semper Fi
RJ
Old 01-22-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD CORPS View Post
Right on Art. The Corps is the last of the services that teach real marksmanship. I made the shoot off twice at Camp Perry shooting 1,000yds with the M1a. But always the brides maid but never the bride. Now days I can't see through that .520 peep any more. I still shoot a few 600 yd belly matches now and then. I have an 8x Unertl on my '03 and that baby will flat lay them in there. Been looking for a 330 Weaver or a 71b for my a4, settled on a 2.5 Weaver for now. Still fun.
Semper Fi
RJ
Hate to admit it but optics have replaced the as issued eyesight for me most of the time. My latest belly gun is a Savage Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor. Made a few changes from stock and added a 8.5 - 25 Leupold MK4. Got out yesterday when the temp got above 40 for a little 100 yd folly. This rifle is good past 1000yd if I can keep up with it.

10 rnds grp at 100.

Semper Fi
Art