Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2022, 05:27 PM

Bml, adding to Jarheadteacher’s response. While there are no guarantees, I’d be willing to bet there will be plenty of room….. it is better to sign up earlier though..
Look at the schedule again, most of the pistol matches are toward the beginning of the venue. There is the vintage sniper match the day before the start of the XTC matches, between the games matches and XTC. If you and your son want to partner up and shoot the vintage sniper match, you are welcome to use one of my extra sniper rifles. I would just ask that you either shoot ball ammo or match ammo purchased from the CMP. They usually have match ammo there to purchase.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:29 PM

My daughter just turned 15. She is a lefty and just likes having fun shooting the Mattel mouse guns and will not shoot the big wood guns. She shoots RF Sporter in 4-H and will shoot a carbine if I twist her arm.

Thanks for the noting the schedule. I was mistaken, the middle days has vintage sniper, HP clinic and team match. We could be busy those days too. If we can pull going the whole event, she wants to shoot Rifle Marksmanship class match, RF Sporter, Carbine, unlimited modern military, High Power Clinic, 3 days XTC and the EIC match.

Any tips on accommodations besides the hotel mentioned in the match information? I have a relative wanting to go to shoot and would bring his family. We may have up to 8 people.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:04 AM

We got registered. It was a little confusing so I used my outlook calendar. I first put in the single events we were going to attend, like the carbine match, RF Sporter and Rifle 101. I made sure to account for 1/2 hour before roll calls. Then I filled in the gaps with the garand, 1903, vintage matches. I had to have the schedule and print out of the registration relays in front of me to reference.

Saturday there is a conflict with the Rifle 101 and only GSM relays. I suspect the GSM relays will be on the range while the rifle class is in the classroom.

RF Sporter and the Carbine Match times are a little offset from the GSM matches so it may limit how many matches each day Sunday and Monday you can hit.

My kid will go to the Rifle 101 Saturday while I shoot my first GSM match. After Saturday we will shoot the rest of the matches together. The only rifle matches we are not yet planning to shoot is modern military, sniper and the team match.

Thanks for the help, we will be camping at the range.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:58 AM

Those who have been there and done this:

Are facilities available for practicing while there? There is lots of free time between matches, especially with an entire free day in the middle for those not shooting the 4-man team event. I'm not driving home and back for one day off anyway.

I'll probably bring a shotgun for trap, too.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:49 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Hello Mac,

Yes, you can shoot pistol and rifle there outside match time. Never shot shotgun there so don't know that answer.
You pay the range to shoot, don't recall the cost.
Think "never shot there before" shooters have to watch a five minute or so safety video?
Buy targets there or bring your own.
They provide frames.
It is well run.
I think (?) the maximum range is 200 yards for rifle.
You can get in prone and sitting if desired, and standing of course. But most shoot off the benches.

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
CMP RSO II