Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2019, 07:16 AM

Default Henry lever action for rimfire sporter match.

I was, to say the least, INTRIGUED when I seen someone used a Henry lever action in the 2018 National Rimfire Sporter Match O-Class Championship (Ferguson, Stephen, SSgt, USMC (54911)). And took an IMPRESSIVE 21st place!

Being tube fed, I am curious. Did he use some type of tube speed loader in the rapid fire stages? Is a speed loader allowed? Anyone by chance have a video of him shooting it in the match?

I am thinking of taking that challenge myself. My hats off to Mr Ferguson for even trying it, not to mention a great score.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:47 AM

Read the CMP rules for the RF Match. You load 5 rounds, shoot them; then there is a break and you repeat the same sequence to complete the "split rapid" fire phase. Any rifle with a magazine will suffice. With quality sights, virtually any .22rf is capable of winning. Personally, I feel the RF match has some quirky aspects that don't make sense. The 25yd offhand on a gigantic target unnecessarily complicates the match, rapid fire offhand, the strange rapid fire format, clothing/equipment restrictions etc.... Still, any match is better than none. Good Shooting. ....
Old 06-02-2019, 08:01 AM

No need for a "Speed Loader". Never load more than five rounds.
Rapid fire is fired in two five round strings with time for reloading in between.
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...f?ver=20180406
The match is designed to "level the playing field" between the various sporter rifles.
A good video that gives a "snapshot" of the 2016 National Rimfire Sporter match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VowLxMimFY

Last edited by mustang82; 06-02-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Ok. Now I got a bead on it. I missed the 2 separate 5 round rapids. Dont know what I was thinking. Two 5 shot clips in 30 (or 35) seconds with a reload would be smokin fast!

I'm thinking of using a Henry Frontier 20" with octagon barrel. Sounds like a lot of fun. I think I like equipment restrictions. This can be done with an economical cost/fun ratio.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshotshoey View Post
I think I like equipment restrictions. This can be done with an economical cost/fun ratio.
This is exactly what Rimfire Sporter is about, little to no equipment. Gun, ammo, eye and ear protection.
And It should be a 50 yard only match, the 25 yard is just unnecessary reset of targets in my opinion. But only 1 has cleaned it so far.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 PM

I should have mentioned that the sling plays an important role in most competitive shooting, including the RF Sporter match. Some rifles, including the Henry lever rifles do not have sling atachments and do not respond well to sling tension. While almost any .22 can be used in the match, a lever action with a tubular magazine, no sling and bead front sight is not going to be satisfactory if you want to win. Good Shooting. ..