Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

Default Question on flight suits

Long story short I ended up with a random assortment of military items from a WWII vets house (kids had POA and were going to throw away what little was left, most they donated already). While talking to the son, he mentioned that his dad was good friends with Ed “Too Tall” Freeman and that he had his flight suit. Well I ended up taking the flight suit home and here is my question. There is nothing to indicate that it was Freeman’s other than their word (which I believe). No name or serial number on it. It IS however insanely tall compared to me! But my question here is, inside on the back it says DRMO US ARMY. Is that something they would have done in 1966 when being sent back or is that a more modern thing? Just trying to figure out if it was his Vietnam suit or the one he flew in the treasure valley fighting fires and rescuing people... you know the “hero stuff” he did.

On a side note you would think that after WWII in the Navy, Pork Chop Hill in Korea and the Battle of La Drang he would have sat on a beach somewhere. But no... he kept flying.

Formerly of Paradise, California. No matter where I put up my hat, Paradise will always be home.

“May the eternal light shine upon you; May the angels lead you to Paradise.”
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

DRMO stands for Defense Reutilization Marketing Office. It is where all excess government property is disposed of. Various items of all sorts get turned in to them every day and DRMO makes the property available to government agencies for a period of time, then sells it at auction.

It is possible that the flight suit was simply bought by someone at an auction or it is also possible that it was obtained by a squadron Material Control Officer for issue to flight crew members.

Flight suits of the 1966 era were usually olive drab in color and made of NOMEX fire proof material. They came in a variety of sizes.
Old Today, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
Flight suits of the 1966 era were usually olive drab in color and made of NOMEX fire proof material. They came in a variety of sizes.
NOMEX was later.
Old Today, 06:09 AM

I don't know about the Air force or Navy,But in 1969 the Army was issuing the gray K2B cotton flight suits with some kind of fire retardant impregnated in them.One of mine is dated January 68.
Old Today, 06:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

1966 USAF flight suit would have been cotton. Nomex started a year or two later.

Wild speculation to assume the flight suit belonged to anyone in particular.
ACEP-certified coach
Old Today, 08:05 AM

So it sounds to me as though this is the one he ended up with when he was a civilian and still flying. I have no reason to doubt the family on it being his. Just not his Vietnam issue one.

Formerly of Paradise, California. No matter where I put up my hat, Paradise will always be home.

“May the eternal light shine upon you; May the angels lead you to Paradise.”