Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanw View Post
Mine was a different armorer, are these corrects slipping through by way of a new policy or is it accidental? If the latter, there seem to be a lot of accidents going on lately.
Keep in mind that the CMP's definition of a "Correct Grade" is: "Correct Grade Rifles are similar to the Service Grade (above), but will show less wear and use. Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture with 80% or better overall original metal finish. The stock and handguards will be of walnut and correct for the rifle but will have some dings, dents, scratches and marring of the wood finish. Stocks will have the appropriate original inspector's cartouche. The rifle bore will be very good with no significant defects and with a throat erosion of less than 4 and a muzzle wear of 2 or less. Very good to excellent condition".

So, a correct rifle may not meet the standards for the CMP "Correct Grade" due to overall condition. I've seen more than a handful of CMP auction rifles characterized as "Service Grade", but were actually correct rifles that fell short of the cosmetic standard for "Correct Grade".

That being said, maybe this rifle had a minor part that was not correct.

Anyway you look at it, this was a major score!!
Old Today, 12:58 PM

I'm pretty confident CMP knows exactly what they are doing. I know I am currently fighting the urge to purchase another service grade via mail order and I really thought I had my garanditis under control.
Old Today, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Jason 714 View Post
I'm pretty confident CMP knows exactly what they are doing. I know I am currently fighting the urge to purchase another service grade via mail order and I really thought I had my garanditis under control.
I was stunned when I opened the case.
Old Today, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanw View Post
I was stunned when I opened the case.
The one you received was pretty unbelievable. This one is not QUITE as nice but close I suppose... I mean how picky can you really be with a correct WWII rifle with nearly new barrel readings?
Old Today, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCASSIDY View Post
Keep in mind that the CMP's definition of a "Correct Grade" is: "Correct Grade Rifles are similar to the Service Grade (above), but will show less wear and use. Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture with 80% or better overall original metal finish. The stock and handguards will be of walnut and correct for the rifle but will have some dings, dents, scratches and marring of the wood finish. Stocks will have the appropriate original inspector's cartouche. The rifle bore will be very good with no significant defects and with a throat erosion of less than 4 and a muzzle wear of 2 or less. Very good to excellent condition".

So, a correct rifle may not meet the standards for the CMP "Correct Grade" due to overall condition. I've seen more than a handful of CMP auction rifles characterized as "Service Grade", but were actually correct rifles that fell short of the cosmetic standard for "Correct Grade".

That being said, maybe this rifle had a minor part that was not correct.

Anyway you look at it, this was a major score!!
I can attest to a CMP rifle not meeting their standard for "correct grade" when indeed it's actually all correct for date of manufacture. I was lucky enough to win at CMP Auction a WRA WIN-13 "Service Grade" with all correct parts. Maybe because the stock had some super old masking tape and a painted on rack number on the butt.
Old Today, 04:06 PM

letting one slip through the cracks every now and then is a way of getting people excited and start placing orders?? Good sales tactic if you ask me
Old Today, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
letting one slip through the cracks every now and then is a way of getting people excited and start placing orders?? Good sales tactic if you ask me
Very good tactic..
Old Today, 04:28 PM

So good I just put another order in the mail today!