Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss429 View Post
Pistols may be different from M1G's but I suspect DCM would accomplish an equivalent background check to a 4473 and ship directly to buyer of curse if you have a CWP you already have had a FBI background check and would forgo the waiting period and the 4473.
Of course we are probably at least a year or two away from the 1911's if it ever happens...
The CMP cannot go around the federal gun control act when it comes to handguns. The reason that no 4473 is involved for rifles purchased from the CMP (except here in California where state law requires them to go through an FFL) is because Congress exempted the CMP from that requirement for rifles only.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoW View Post
At this time we know NOTHING! Y'all filled 16 pages of wishful thinking and gobbilygook. Calm down!
I basically said the same thing back on post #24. Some guys just will take a fact-less situation and just dissect and speculate the situation into miniscule pieces with zero credible data input first. Over the years I have learned that when it comes to conversing with a certain genre of people, two types come immediately to mind with respect to sometimes overthinking and talking too much, first is antique or muscle car guys, and a close second is gun guys....

apologies for being blunt... strictly just my opinions

Last edited by Road_Clam; 12-08-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss429 View Post
Any spreadsheet program like Excel can easily sort out multiple entries using name, email, physical address, phone number, SS number, zip code, DOB or any specific info so since it's one per person they only get one rifle and their other entries get tossed out. The DCM could reject all entries that have multiple entries if they wanted to just another function the spreadsheet program would provide. So frankly it doesn't really create more work for anybody but their computers running after hours when everybody is off the clock.
Yeah it actually does create more work for people. Humans need to open all of the envelopes received, look over all the paperwork to make sure the t's are crossed and the i's dotted, etc etc before they can even take the time to enter the info into a computer. Sure once its ENTERED into the computer its a simple task to sort but there is most certainly extra work created for the CMP staff when people send in multiple orders like that. This doesn't work like Amazon where you just click to order and any after your first is ignored.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:10 PM

Actually, if you look at the CMP rifle order form, it has all the information and certifications that a 4473 contains. CMP enters the information into the NICS system online and does the background check.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc5000 View Post
When I got the CMP email I thought there was going to be some new information.

Sounds like a lot of people bugging them about it.
Clearly that sales release was a giant DBU for all of us.

Keep the chatter here, don't be bugging them about it.

It'll happen....or it won't.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 PM

The only thing I can think of to add to this thread is the more 1911's there are the better I like it. I have 4 and like them all even though I find them harder to shoot accurately than my gp100. I have loaded some "puppy loads" that make it easier to practice with my .45's and the more practice I get the better.
I used to shoot my uncles WW2 Colt and we had a lot of fun even though it was loose as heck and not very accurate.
If/when CMP sells these pistols I would have a hard time passing on them but at this point I think 4 is enough.

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 12-08-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Actually, if you look at the CMP rifle order form, it has all the information and certifications that a 4473 contains. CMP enters the information into the NICS system online and does the background check.
That's fine and all, but it still isn't a form 4473 and entry into a bound book.

CMP isn't going to be able to ship pistols to non-licensees. That's going to be the way it is by the wording of the amendment.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:58 PM

As an FFL holder, Ohio Don is 100% correct.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
Form 4473 is for FFLs to non-FFLS. The CMP is not currently an FFL. An FFL does not fill out a 4473 to get a firearm from another FFL. The CMP operates under rules set by Congress. When/if the CMP gets the 1911s, they will be required to get an FFL and most likely a Type 001. To sell one to me, they would accept payment and ship to a local FFL Type 001. Nothing would prevent them from doing the same check they currently do for rifles before shipping to the local FFL. The local FFL would have to do the 4473 check. I would then have to pay the FFL the transfer fees and background check fee. I doubt with the way it is worded in the Bill that the 1911s would be shipped direct to the home unless to an FFL Type 003. The question would be if they would sell directly at the stores. Which I doubt as they legally could only sell to Alabama residents at Anniston and Port Clinton to Ohio residents or still ship to a local FFL in another state.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 AM

With all the resourceful people on this site and picture taking phones why aren't there any pics of what we might be talking about in these 16 pages of posts?

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 12-09-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
Form 4473 is for FFLs to non-FFLS. The CMP is not currently an FFL. An FFL does not fill out a 4473 to get a firearm from another FFL. The CMP operates under rules set by Congress. When/if the CMP gets the 1911s, they will be required to get an FFL and most likely a Type 001. To sell one to me, they would accept payment and ship to a local FFL Type 001. Nothing would prevent them from doing the same check they currently do for rifles before shipping to the local FFL. The local FFL would have to do the 4473 check. I would then have to pay the FFL the transfer fees and background check fee. I doubt with the way it is worded in the Bill that the 1911s would be shipped direct to the home unless to an FFL Type 003. The question would be if they would sell directly at the stores. Which I doubt as they legally could only sell to Alabama residents at Anniston and Port Clinton to Ohio residents or still ship to a local FFL in another state.
You could still pick out one at the store and have your FFL holder send his license copy to CMP and they could ship to the FFL.
Closed Thread