Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Identify this DWM Luger ?

Can anyone explain the first proof mark on this pistol? Also it has a 1918 date, so that means itís a 1914 Luger? I donít see 1918 in my book. Excuse my ignorance but Iím new to Lugers. What is the correct magazine, wood base numbered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 07:53 PM

What you have there is a so-called "double-date" Luger.

These are reworked 1908 and 1914 Military pieces, believed to be done (and marked) at Erfurt.

The mark is the "late" Acceptance Mark for DWM made 1914 military models.

Pretty common . . . .the 1920 "date" is the code for the Reichswehr property stamp. --Jim

Last edited by JimF; 10-14-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:27 PM

Man thanks jim!! I was having a tough time with this one. The whole point of me researching this one is to possibly purchase. Itís all matching and a holster for $1300. Is that a fair price even those this is a common Luger?

Thanks again, Jim.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 07:45 AM

Brian . . . I cannot help you much with value, as I do not collect them.

I do have only ONE, as I'm in pretty deep on other firearms.

Luger collections (and collectors) are an "entity all their own"!!

The "one-and-only" I have is much like yours . . . . a double-date DWM.

It started life as an artillery model, but was rebuilt as a standard P'08 in the 20's.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:40 PM

I always understood the 1920 date to be part of the Versailles Treaty which limited the German Army to 100,000 men and to a certain number of armaments. What I see is a 1918 manufactured Luger, accounted for under the treaty and so marked. The magazine should be wood based and numbered to the pistol.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:51 PM

Just to add onto this. The 1914 designation is an old designation and most people donít call them that anymore but itís OK if you do. Note, called 1914 because the stock lug added, although the reality is the stock lug was instituted mid 1913... So it is a 1918 DWM Luger, the 1920 is actually a property stamp. Itís not a date because it was used even in 1920 and 21 and sometimes a bit later. Guns were being turned in for money because they had a gun control act, and so what they did was they were paying money and soldiers and other people were stealing guns from the military and turning them in and so the 1920 Mark was for that and it is not I repeat is not a rework Mark.
The markings on the right are what you would see from DWM and I have trouble between Erfurt and dwm stamps, but almost assuredly the first three are acceptance marks not really proof marks. the far right mark of the eagle is a proof Mark and youíll find a proof mark on the breechblock and a few other places but most markings are either acceptance marks or just maker marks, meaning that they are marks that are hidden to help the workers as they put the guns together.
The value youíre looking at is perfectly Acceptable and a 1920 1918 which mistakenly is called a double date is usually worth less than one that is not marked or has not been turned over to the police but I do not see a Sear or Magazine safety which is the main way to tell if it is a police gun.

Note, DWM made military lugers From late 1908 which is why theyíre called the 1908 until 1918 for World War I. Erfurt a military arsenal, under contract, made them from 1910 although you do not see them often, and made them until 1918.
I do collect lugers and can help anyone.
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers

Last edited by weimar_police; 10-15-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I do collect lugers and can help anyone.
Thank you for that very informative post !! Not that I'll remember it all, but the "1920" marking being NOT a date might stick. I don't collect lugers, but get asked all the time "what is a luger worth?" My stock answer is " $350 up to $35,000, just depends on what it is".

Thanks again,

Emri
Old 10-16-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeeby View Post
I always understood the 1920 date to be part of the Versailles Treaty which limited the German Army to 100,000 men and to a certain number of armaments. What I see is a 1918 manufactured Luger, accounted for under the treaty and so marked. The magazine should be wood based and numbered to the pistol.
mine has aluminum base magazines like the one pictured , both numbered to pistol -
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 AM

What's a wood based magazine?

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on /09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampComLegacy View Post
What's a wood based magazine?
The magazine floor plate with the little grabby-dos is made of wood, not aluminum.
ACEP-certified coach
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies