Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2018, 05:31 PM

buy a goldenrod and never look back. i have 2 safes with a goldenrod in each. over 30 years and still running. i have a few guns that have been untouched for over 20 years and show no sign of any rust. safes are in the basement on a concrete floor. i live in southwest Pa.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:39 PM

How do you get power into your safe?

Mine is a fairly large safe but nowhere I can see to run power into it.

My feedback thread
Old 06-15-2018, 06:38 PM

One of the Goldenrod models has a detachable plug. Drill a hole in the safe on a vertical wall near the bottom. Big hole, 1/2" or so. Then, feed the wire through. Then, pack the hole with silicone RTV to seal it and prevent wire chafing.

I've done this on two safes, works just fine. It's a bit upsetting to know how easy it is to drill through a medium quality gun safe. It's just sheet metal and gypsum board...
Old 06-15-2018, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
Seeing that you live in Florida I assume your home has central AC and that your safe is in your living area. If so, your AC should maintain a safe humidity level. I lived in New Orleans up until Katrina (2005) and now live in Alabama. I have never experienced any corrosion or stock issues with any of my firearms.
Well five of my safes are in a secure workshop that is connected to the house but very little ac gets in there one safe is in my bedroom under air Iím concerned about to much heat during mid day temps six safes takes up a lot of room in a home but Iím considering moving the other five into the house if itís to dry out there we do have tons of humidity here and stirring them like that Iíve never had any rust issues I keep them oiled well as Iím two miles away from the Indian and three away from the banana rivers here and 15 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean so salt air is also a concern Iíd like to leave them where they are but Iím concerned about it being to hot for them in the safes in a I non air conditioned shop Iím worried about the wood drying out what do you think?
Old 06-16-2018, 12:46 PM

Sorry for the question, but, what's the goldenrod you use in your safe? My safe has AC plugins inside and I always asked myself why there were there.

PR is VERY humid and I'm looking to protect my guns from rust. Yesterday I waxed all of them, but if the safe is too humid inside, I think it's a lost battle.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:30 PM

I use the goldenrod original

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D1WYZ1Y..._sAvjBbD8CMFEV

Has worked great for years now.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:52 PM

I have a large safe in the basement with the plug in. I have been using the goldenrods for about 10 years. The only thing I notice are the rifles closest to the unit are noticeably warmer to the touch and the stocks are drier. It is no big deal to me as once a year everybody come out and the stocks get a coat of BLO and the rifles get cleaned and oiled. Never any sign of rust or cracked stocks.