Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 10:53 AM

Default M14 actions

I'm starting my M14 build and getting all of the parts together. But I still have some questions on best quality for an action. I know Fultonís are cast and then machined, LRB forged and machined, Smith Enterprise out of bar stock, Springfield Armory cast, 7.62????.
I know 7.62 still is in business but I never hear anything good or bad about them. If you were to rate actions by a number system of 1 being the highest grade and 10 being the lower grade which would come out on top? LRB and Smith sound like close to the top of the list if not the best. And 7.62 at the other end.
Also, has anyone heard of a company by the name of AMG advertising in shotgun news. They used to be in California but moved to Missouri. He has a small shop and does builds, and correct mil spec coatings. He reparked my 1903A3 and it is perfect. He does other types of coating too. I picked up a Douglas barrel in XXX from him for this and a nice new NM stock.
I'm considering letting him do the build on this one. Has anyone here had any completed by him?
Thanks

Mike
Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 AM

LRB gets my vote. My last 7 builds have been 4 M25s and 3 M14SA. Fit and finish is excellent on all the LRB products I have used. Their bolts are as close to USGI as you will find in commercial reproductions.

http://
Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Default M14 actions

LRB look to be just abou the best, but for a person on a bit of a tighter budget than the LRB prices which would be better?
Mike
Old 09-23-2012, 01:11 PM

for safeties sake, it would be a tie between lrb forged vs smith barstock (have 2).as far as cast with the 308,i'd have to think about it.the first 2 would provide greater structural density and no chances of hidden air pocket imperfections.plus with the lrb m25,less probs with scope mounting issues.

Last edited by dprice3844444; 09-23-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:08 PM

Fulton Armory or SAI from Champions Choice. Just as good for rifle builds as the more expensive options. Forged vs cast issue is a gimmick to charge more money. Heat treatments and quality control are much more important. Also these two options have lifetime warranties not offered by the forged and bar stock offerings by LRB and SEI respectively.

The M14TFL has some nice threads concerning this exact issue.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 PM

Has there ever neen a documented case of Lou at LRB not standing behind his product and making thing right, with respects to faults on their end? "Lifetime" warranties are a gimmick.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 PM

I keep hearing about how much "better" and "safer" the LRB and Smith Enterprises receivers are... Are there a lot of SAI and Fulton receivers that are coming apart? What is so bad about a cast receiver? I am sure that there are not a lot of people that are going to war with their rifles and I am also pretty sure that most will never subjected to full auto fire.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:41 PM

..."Flash Gordon is better than Tarzan!...Oh, Mr. Hood..."
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM

I don't mind paying a bit more for what I think is one of the best receivers on the market and that is SEI. I have one now and plan on having more in the future. I have two SAI built rifles. One pre-ban and one post-ban. IMHO and this is just my opinion but, I feel the SEI is a superior product. That being said SAI makes a product that they stand behind without a doubt which can't be beat by anyone. They are known for their customer service. As for Fulton Armory I really have never heard a bad thing about them. I think some of their parts prices run a little high. On the flipside they have great prices on their receivers. There never seems to be a wait for them and if I wanted or needed a receiver ASAP I wouldn't hesitate to go with them based upon reputation alone. Plus they have sales all the time. They would be my first choice with a cast receiver and just from what little I know they seem to be more forgiving when being built especially with used GI bolts and barrels. SEI or LRB are made to a little tighter tolerances I think and fair better with new parts. Again this is all my opinion.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF View Post
I keep hearing about how much "better" and "safer" the LRB and Smith Enterprises receivers are... Are there a lot of SAI and Fulton receivers that are coming apart? What is so bad about a cast receiver? I am sure that there are not a lot of people that are going to war with their rifles and I am also pretty sure that most will never subjected to full auto fire.
I smell an alt account.