Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Default NM M14 with USGI parts Value?

Debating on parting with my NM M1A, Springfield Armory M1A 10K serial number, maybe 500 rounds fired. The rest are USGI parts. Was built for me for high power around 1981-2 by Ray Sweet, USMC, considered the father of the National Match M14. He took so long to build it though, I had already departed for college and never got to compete with it, hence the low round count. Any consensus on value? I know its not replaceable but I need to consider selling it anyway.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenpointer View Post
Debating on parting with my NM M1A, Springfield Armory M1A 10K serial number, maybe 500 rounds fired. The rest are USGI parts. Was built for me for high power around 1981-2 by Ray Sweet, USMC, considered the father of the National Match M14. He took so long to build it though, I had already departed for college and never got to compete with it, hence the low round count. Any consensus on value? I know its not replaceable but I need to consider selling it anyway.
No educated idea what it's worth but I would definitely be interested in it once you decide on a price.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM

Does it have a USGI NM barrel or a aftermarket one? List the GI parts.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:37 PM

Ray used only USGI parts. Everything but the receiver is USGI. Period.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Need to list barrel type and if it's commercial or USGI.

Need to note the modifications to the rifle.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Ray used only USGI parts. Everything but the receiver is USGI. Period.
Take the rifle down, look at the stamping on the parts. Look at the type of barrel, i.e. light issue type which is considered standard grade unless it's one of the USGI NM barrels. The stampings or NSN can tell people what it was if it was USGI.

Trigger group housing is stamped, Bolt body is stamped, USGI barrels were stamped with the NSN numbers.

It'll give people a better idea of what the rifle is.

Also, is the rifle bedded? What's the trigger pull weight (M14 types were made to be set at 4lbs originally, later 4/12 lbs).

Again, with the advent of after market barrels you have the "light" barrel whis comes standard on commercial rifles fashioned in many cases like the old USGI barrel without the chrome lining. Then you have the medium barrels and the heavy barreled models.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Also check out the gas cylinder, has it been modified? If so how (screw and glue or welded)…
Old 09-22-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper6 View Post
Also check out the gas cylinder, has it been modified? If so how (screw and glue or welded)…

USMTU annealed, drilled and tapped the cylinder (sometime the spindle valve also), UMSC silver soldered theirs. Current commercial "unitized" gas assemblies are welded (at least the SAI's and Fulton's I've seen were). Ealry Camp Perry guidelines were drilled and tapped and later when to the Silver Solder, I have all the documentation for a lot of years.

Me, I toss them. It does NOT free float the barrel and if you remind me, I'll walk you through it, the same way one of the lead Engineers at TRW got me to figure out a better way. It will be seen in print eventually. One of the Gunny's at Pendleton, loved my Devine. It out shot their NMs.

At 1000 yards it held about 1 1/2 with the good lots of M118, 1 MOA with my Lapua Palma load. NM rear sight adjustment was 42 for Lapua load, 44 for M118. If anyone uses the issue 1" sights, simply cut the figures in half.

*IF* anyone tells you the NM sights were NOT 1/2" adjustment, just figure they're eyes are brown.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:46 PM

Default "gas adjustment screws"

One thing I hear way to much, is that they have a gas adjustment screw. I finally asked someone to show me and he did. That thing on the gas assembly is the Spindle valve which is there to turn the gas assembly off for grenade launching cartridges, NOT gas adjustment. The FNs (FAL, ParaFal and so on), do have gas adjustment.

Do NOT turn the valve off (screw slot is horizontal when you do)... you'll find you get no better accuracy and will have to fight to get the action cycled manually. Trust me on this one, I tried it out of curiosity in 74.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojkoh View Post
One thing I hear way to much, is that they have a gas adjustment screw. I finally asked someone to show me and he did. That thing on the gas assembly is the Spindle valve which is there to turn the gas assembly off for grenade launching cartridges, NOT gas adjustment. The FNs (FAL, ParaFal and so on), do have gas adjustment.

Do NOT turn the valve off (screw slot is horizontal when you do)... you'll find you get no better accuracy and will have to fight to get the action cycled manually. Trust me on this one, I tried it out of curiosity in 74.
Too bad these forums don't have spam filters.