Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2020, 07:36 PM

Default New Addition, 1943 WRA

I picked this Winchester up off of Gunbroker. Owing to the crazy situation with the USPS it ended up taking just about a month to actually receive the darn thing. As received it was clad in a postwar Fajen stock and also sported a really uniquely modified rear sight. The seller included 5 USGI 15rd mags (2 still in the wrapper) made by Seymour Products and marked (SP). Also included were 4 of the new Korean 30rd mags, a GI carrying case, WWII sling, stock mag pouch, and surprisingly an original IW marked blued oiler! All in it ran me $1k.

The interesting thing is that somehow this carbine was the filthiest and also the most well preserved rifle I think I've ever come across. It was absolutely carbon caked and blacked everywhere like it had fired several thousand rounds and never been cleaned. Someone also coated all of the metal parts in grease which had hardened to an attractive brown crust. Once liberally sprayed with brake clean that all melted away to reveal perfect gray parkerizing. Usually heavy carbon and signs of use are accompanied by finish wear and patina, not this time. It was amazing to see the transformation during cleaning. Anyway, enjoy the pictures. Other than the stock, all of the metal parts appear original and correct. Iím up in the air on the front sight. Part of me says leave it alone even though the ears are clipped. The rear sight is the prototype adjustable sight I found a month ago. It will stay on the carbine for at least one range trip. I have an NOS lyman flip sight when that time comes. The handguard is the original bullnose style and somehow managed to stay with the gun even though the original stock was replaced. The current stock is an NPM that matches exceptionally well. Iím okay with leaving it in that stock until I manage to find a similar condition, correct WRA piece.

https://i.imgur.com/JgAjHW9.jpg

Full Photo Album
https://imgur.com/a/sioAgsr
Old 05-19-2020, 07:43 PM

Great score. Sporterized gun are certainly affordable if you find a good one.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:56 PM

Great score and thanks for all the pictures. I was doing great scrolling through them until I hit the one of the sporter stock. I almost lost my dinner. Your rifle looks so much better in the USGI wood!
Old 05-20-2020, 06:39 AM

Very nice carbine.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:46 PM

I’d like to see ‘before’ pictures. It looks like it cleaned up well.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 05-26-2020, 10:31 AM

I know you had fun cleaning it up!!