Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2009, 05:31 PM

I cant find any info on a home made cleaner. If any one has pics or info thank you.

Last edited by Toon; 11-16-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:13 PM

Is this what you are looking for?
www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp
There is a great amount of info on this site.
Larry G
LIVE FREE OR DIE
Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 PM

Toon, good question.

I have not found any good instructions for one. There was one that involved a sander and a coffee can, but that did not seem to be that strong of an idea.

Fortunately places like Harbor Freight have begun carrying them, so the prices are falling.

Good Luck, and if you find one please be sure to post it here.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:20 AM

You cannot make a decent ultrasonic cleaner for the cost of a cheap more powerful one available at harbor tools.

I personally use this unit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95563

with an orange oil cleaning solution. I cant think of a faster way to clean parts, the inside of brass or anything you drop into it.

You Can make a super cheap bore cleaner as linked by GunRunner.

Eric
Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Ericc, I have wondered about that model. Can you get a medium sized handgun in one of those??

The location I visit has a larger all metal one available for only a few dollars more, and I have been thinking about getting it. Getting tired of going to a buddies house to use his older, commercial unit.

(Finally some one else who understands how good it does brass, LOL. Beats a tumbler hands down.)
Old 11-19-2009, 04:19 PM

i found one 19 in long 6 in wide can fit most of an upper in there ebay or amazon
Old 11-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acera View Post
Ericc, I have wondered about that model. Can you get a medium sized handgun in one of those??

The location I visit has a larger all metal one available for only a few dollars more, and I have been thinking about getting it. Getting tired of going to a buddies house to use his older, commercial unit.

(Finally some one else who understands how good it does brass, LOL. Beats a tumbler hands down.)
Here is a 6" python sitting in the tank. It just doesn't fit. But its a Long handgun. A glock etc would fit easy.

I just used it to clean a new M1 receiver and all the cosmoline coated parts. Works great.

Tank size is important. However, power output is more so. I've seen some large units that have very little cleaning power. For it's size this unit puts out pretty good power.

Eric
Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 PM

Thanks Ericc,

That is exactly what I was wondering. Nice revolver btw.

Think I will save a few more pennies and get the bigger one.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 PM

I used an old crock pot on low, with Simple Green or a similar non-flammable, biodegradeable cleaner. Dont use the one that belongs to the Chief Cook, or you will be in big trouble. You can buy them for a few dollars at a thrift store.

It will disolve cosmoline and hardened grease. I rebuilt an old jeep and I used it quite often on parts that would fit inside it such as transmission and transfer case parts, even drum brake adjustment parts and linkage.

Let em run on the lowest setting with an outlet plug timer for 1 or 2 hours and they are sparkling clean. The porcelain pot cleans up with paper towels. Just dont try to cook up a batch of chili after cleaning parts, although the dishwasher gang probably wouldnt mind. \
Old 11-19-2009, 11:51 PM

What do you use for the vibration Joe? Or does just the hot cleaner take care of it?