Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2020, 02:10 PM

I am still wondering if any barrel maker makes a high quality barrel for the Kimber 82g.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:29 PM

Have the crown checked. There are several articles that say the early rifles had crown issues and were not accurate. Also very touchy with stock torque. I had one and never could get it to shoot compared to my M12 or 541X.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:58 PM

I would contact Kreiger and see if they would do a barrel for you. Obviously there’s no one listing a barrel for an 82G.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:03 AM

I own three of the Kimber 82G models. I had shot one of them over the years and have one hole 5 shot groups off of a bench at 25 yds. using the military 51 ft small bore targets. The ammo I used was the bulk Federal 550 rounds to a box, not match ammo. I recently, after reading this post, shot the other two rifles to see if I had a bad one. Using the same targets and ammo I found out that I had a second one as accurate as the first. The third one was not so accurate and I mean by a lot. Yesterday I took the bad one out and started to torque the screws and trying to make it better with no luck. Before I left the range I decided to use different ammo and tried CCI and Rem Thunderbolts. The CCI was a little better than the Federal but not much. To my surprise, the cheapest dirtiest ammo, Rem thunderbolts, shot 5 shot one hole groups, go figure. Before you guys re-barrel and torque any more screws give some of the different ammos a try, even the ones that many of you would never have bought. I am glad I did and my apology for the long post, hope it can help some of you.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2205 View Post
I own three of the Kimber 82G models. I had shot one of them over the years and have one hole 5 shot groups off of a bench at 25 yds. using the military 51 ft small bore targets. The ammo I used was the bulk Federal 550 rounds to a box, not match ammo. I recently, after reading this post, shot the other two rifles to see if I had a bad one. Using the same targets and ammo I found out that I had a second one as accurate as the first. The third one was not so accurate and I mean by a lot. Yesterday I took the bad one out and started to torque the screws and trying to make it better with no luck. Before I left the range I decided to use different ammo and tried CCI and Rem Thunderbolts. The CCI was a little better than the Federal but not much. To my surprise, the cheapest dirtiest ammo, Rem thunderbolts, shot 5 shot one hole groups, go figure. Before you guys re-barrel and torque any more screws give some of the different ammos a try, even the ones that many of you would never have bought. I am glad I did and my apology for the long post, hope it can help some of you.
I would be real interested in how the three 82g's shoot for you at 100yds. no one around here shoots at 25yds and the ones I want to shoot against only shoot 100yd matches.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:36 PM

Wolf Match
8 rds
1 inch group
100yds off bench
Iron Sights
No wind
Old 01-24-2020, 11:12 PM

I'm just one of the guys that shoot for fun, not competing against anyone. I was shooting at the military 51 ft. target, 12 small black targets on a 8x11 piece of paper, and without a scope on any of the rifles could not even see the black at 100 yds., I was using irons. Just putting my experience out there to help others with a possible easy fix to what may not really be a bad gun after all.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:02 PM

Yup, screw torque is important; start at 18in-lbs and work your way up. You could find out a couple lbs. less on rear screw works also. Re-crown also a pretty cheap try also. Keep the cocking stud greased up good all the time. 'Rimfirecentral' has some pretty good write-ups.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

I have heard the suggestion that the Kimber 82G barrels were bored with a slight taper that was supposed to be tighter at the muzzle than at the breech. What has been suggested is that some of the barrels were machined with the tighter portion of the bore being at the breech rather than at the muzzle. I can't confirm that nor do I have a way to measure that, but that possibility has been suggested as a reason that some Kimber 82G rifles shoot much better than others. I am not a small bore nor Kimber expert, just passing along a thought that was told to me.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenum View Post
Keep the cocking stud greased up good all the time.
Where to grease: