Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 PM

Default Passport Proof of Citizenship

I understand that a passport is acceptable. Does it have to be current, or will an expired one also be acceptable. Interested in a CMP response, or a direct link to a CMP answer if this has already been addressed. Asking in specific regard to CMP1911 pistol requirements. Not interested in best guesses, speculation, or what has been acceptable for rifle purchases in the past. An expired passport still demonstrates citizenship, but I don't intend to find out the hard way that it will not work for CMP1911. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 PM

Default passport

Yes your passport will work.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1911admin View Post
Yes your passport will work.
I thought I read that the Passport needed to be current and NOT expired?
I searched and thought Mark had made that statement but couldn't find his posting. Has something changed? I'm in a similar situation with an expired(this year soon) passport.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 PM

Found Mark's posting on expired passports....Two different answers?
http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...5&postcount=16

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=211480&page=2

Last edited by Shomway; 06-13-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 PM

This is what I did in response to Mr. Johnson's answer:

The USPS has locations that are certified to accept passport applications and renewals. Fortunately the one closest to me was set up to do so. I was reluctant to spend $110 plus pic and paperwork fees but there is now an option for a passport card for $30.

The USPS was prompt, courteous and had me out in 15 minutes, including a pair of 2" X 2" photos and taking an oath. A reservation is required.

The card is good for land and sea international travel only, not international air. No plans to fly to Europe but maybe a road trip to Canada or a cruise to an island in the Carribbean (SP?) or Bermuda some day!

And, applying to purchase a 1911!!!

In any event it is a less expensive option for a photo ID and proof of US citizenship if anyone is interested.

Rich

Last point: Your expired passport is sufficient proof of ID to get the card.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:54 PM

Wow! Guess I should be careful what I ask for! A lightning fast direct response from CMP (thanks cmp1911admin) which is crystal clear. And a link to a previous specific answer from CMP (thanks Shomway) which is crystal clear. Is there a tie-breaker out there anywhere or should I just flip a coin?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester19 View Post
Wow! Guess I should be careful what I ask for! A lightning fast direct response from CMP (thanks cmp1911admin) which is crystal clear. And a link to a previous specific answer from CMP (thanks Shomway) which is crystal clear. Is there a tie-breaker out there anywhere or should I just flip a coin?
I get the impression that CMP1911admin misread you question. He/She was agreeing that a passport is acceptable.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester19 View Post
Here is the problem I have. CMP1911admin has taken on the role of spokesperson for CMP1911 and we count on a correct response. If this person is unsure of a correct answer, then don't be so quick to respond till you know for sure. Had we followed this persons advice and mailed in an expired passport , would we have been denied the proof of citizenship as per Mark Johnson's posting and our paperwork is tossed in the trash? Since CMP1911 requires our paperwork to be completed correctly for acceptance we need correct answers, as has been stated they will not contact you to correct our errors.
It appears we all need this three month gap so EVERYONE gets their ducks in a row.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Both postings show same response. I would expect Mark's response to be the ultimate answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Expired passport is not acceptable.

Last edited by tinplater611; 06-14-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Here is the problem I have. CMP1911admin has taken on the role of spokesperson for CMP1911 and we count on a correct response. If this person is unsure of a correct answer, then don't be so quick to respond till you know for sure. Had we followed this persons advice and mailed in an expired passport , would we have been denied the proof of citizenship as per Mark Johnson's posting and our paperwork is tossed in the trash? Since CMP1911 requires our paperwork to be completed correctly for acceptance we need correct answers, as has been stated they will not contact you to correct our errors.
It appears we all need this three month gap so EVERYONE gets their ducks in a row.
The response from CMP1911 was 100% correct, as far as it went.

The question “Do you have a [INSERT DOCUMENT]?” implicitly means a current document. When the Trooper asks you for your license and registration, he isn’t asking for an expired license and last year’s registration.

The US Government does not accept expired documents as proof of identity or citizenship. The reason is obvious WRT citizenship - you could have changed your citizenship, which would invalidate the passport (unless dual citizenship).

I am not sure you could use an expired license to purchase a firearm in a store.

So while it would have been better for CMP1911 to answer both questions, he did answer the first - “Is a passport acceptable?”

“Life is Good!”
Closed Thread