Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2010, 10:45 AM

Default Daisy 853 trigger

I am thinking of purchasing a air rifle for my son. Do the Daisy m853 have a decent trigger. I have purchased several air rifles in the past, Benjamin, and Gamo and the triggers were advertised as adjustabe. When we got the rifles the lenght of travel was adjustable but the pull was not and they were 4 or 5 pounds. Not manageable for precise target shooting.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:32 PM

The trigger can be cleaned up to produce a completely reliable trigger pull; but it is not adjustable in the classic sense. I've shot a 284/300 with an 853. I've coached youngsters who shot routinely in the 260s and 270's. That's good enough for starting a young shooter on his/her eventual way to the Olympics. When you have a youngster routinely shooting in the 250's and 260's with an 853 you can look at getting an Anschutz 8002 for $1500 or a Daisy 888 for $350 to raise their scores. The 853 and its Walther barrel is an inexpensive entry into Sporter class precision air rifle target shooting. It does not look as cool or shoot as well as the $1500 Anschutz........but that's a whole lot of extra pellets with which you can practice so that when you get there you can shoot the Anschutz in the world of precision air rifle shooting. Beach

Yes I am an unapologetic supporter of the Daisy 853.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:10 PM

Could you tell me what the trigger pull is? My son competes in smallbore silhouette and we are looking for a rifle to practice with in the winter inside. We do not want to buy another air rifle with a heavy trigger. We are looking for something with a pull of under 2 lbs.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:05 PM

The unmodified 853 pull is around 6lbs and ugly!
I found instructions here for modifying the trigger. I bought the trigger guard suggested in the article and screw set from Daisy for a whopping 8 bucks. It worked like a charm and the trigger is adjustable to under 4lbs. I don't think you'll get it down to 2 but I could be wrong. I was only interested in getting rid of the plasticky feel and the mile of creep.
I set the trigger for 4.5lbs to emulate my service rifle.
The 853 is not an Anshutz but it will put pellets through the same hole as long as I want to shoot it. I bought one of the CMP rebuilds for 75 bucks. For less than a hundred bucks total investment it is the most accurate and probably one of the most useful guns in my safe.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:01 PM

To add to what Wes said I believe that with a little extra tweeking and experimentation you CAN get the trigger down to 2lbs. You are not going to get it to a 6 or 8 ounce trigger of a nice match small bore rifle. But you will be able to get plenty of winter practice at home with it. One thing I'd like to add is that the 853 is significantly lighter than every smallbore match rifle I can think of and it won't give you a true equivalent practice. On the flip side if you can shoot an 853 you can shoot anything better. Beach
Old 11-26-2010, 07:19 PM

My son is on the HS JROTC Rifle Team and they shoot the 853 rifle. This is his second year and I've become involved as a volenteer with 11 years of CMP HP Shooting experience. My son also has 3 year shooting HP.

My father went to the North Store and purchase 2 of the 853 rifles and they look darn near new! I think he paid $85 each.

My son sighted it in here at home and practiced with it at school for about a week and then shot the JROTC Army Postal last Friday with a score of 226. He wasn't very happy since he can shoot in the 250's with a Springfield 03 or M1. I had already ordered replacement trigger parts from Daisy along with an additonal barrel weight.

So for Thanksgiving I sat in front of the fireplace and upgraded the trigger. I pulled it a part, very carefully, and followed the instructions that my father go from the CMP. They have a brochure called Tom Johnson's Sporter tips. I filed polished the sear, filed and polished the bolt, trimmed the trigger, tripped the lock, shorted the springs and added the take up screw in the rear of the trigger guard. It took me most of the Lions game to do this but it was fairly painless. I used a hacksaw, dremmel, small file and some 600grt paper.

The long pull is gone and the pull is smooth. Daisy uses grease where the sear and bolt meet which creates a sticky mess for lack of a better term. I removed the grease and I'm getting a clean break.

I'll see if this helps the scores. I'll post some pics once I get them on photobucket.

Dennis
Old 11-27-2010, 05:29 PM

Remember if you are using the rifle for 3-P competition 1.5lbs is the minimum you can legally set. That said, while I have seen a few of the Daisy rifles below 2lbs, normally without a LOT of trial & error you'll end up with about a 2-1/4 to 2lb trigger.

I've only ever seen 2 rifles with triggers below 2 pass the "bump" test ... w/o a cylinder, cock rifle and drop butt first onto a table from about 2-3 inches ... it should not fire. If it does, not only is it outside the rules, but it is unsafe. ... ALWAYS check your sporters with a bump test.

I have a hanging weight made from a water bottle & brass rod to hang from a trigger ... easy to add/remove water to get the weight you want. I set all our club rifles to just above 2 lbs. (with the cylinder out of the gun) Cock, hang weight, adjust sear screw until fires and back screw off about 1/16 to 1/8 turn.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:47 PM

Default weights

I just finished up some work on the rifle and my 22LR that I'm building.

I checked the trigger weight and it's at 2 -3/4 lbs. I used a water bottle, cut the top off and filled it with 30 calibre bullets until the trigger broke.

It passes the bump test and my son loves the feel of it. The neighbor was over and he was impressed with how much I was able to clean it up. I have a second rifle that will go to my younger son that I'm able to compare it too. I'll probably do the trigger on that one when my father comes to visit at Christmas.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:27 PM

That's a good setting ... tell your son to have a blast.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 PM

We re sighted the 853 after the trigger job and added weight. I'll try and link a pic to this. The pic is of two 5 shot groups at 10M, prone with sling.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...wsights006.jpg

Tags
air rifles, daisy 853, trigger pull