Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 PM
GSM Master Instructor

What is your definition of "economical"???

The CMP sells 5000 pellets for like $70. That's like a penny and a half a shot.

Seems pretty economical to me!

Matt
Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 AM

casting of lead pellets would be problem matic, to form a hollow skirt would require a three part mold.. pellets are formed by swaging.

to keep from going insane,,,,do what Matt suggest.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 PM

BCole, my Feinwerkbau 300 will launch 8 gr wadcutters or pointed pellets at better than 550 fps and it is most certainly accurate/deadly enough for headshots on squirrels out to better than 20 yds with the Simmons 4-12X40 ProAir scope. Many have met my crock pot through such intervention at my bird feeder (during season of course). Instant lights out, no hanging on, no wiggling, just flop.
As for casting pellets on our own, I think you all missed the tongue in cheek direction of the thread.
WMC.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:38 AM

Grumpy

If you want to cure flinch get yourself a flinchlock I mean flintlock to shoot. The locktime is so long even if you flinch you can stop have a smoke and re-aim before it goes off.

Blacksmith
Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 PM

"Flinchlock" Now that there is funny right there, I don't care who you are!
WMC
Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM

Default Don't use solder

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
Just get a roll of solder and clip off short pieces to shoot.
Solder is not good for making pellets, it contains tin. Tin is used to make the melting point lower in solder, it also makes it harder. most pellets have a skirt on the back of the pellet and if you use a hardened metal that skirt will not work right gripping the rifled groves in the barrel. I shoot black powder Civil War guns that use the same principal with the Minie Ball these bullets have to use pure soft lead or they will not be any where near accurate.

Most plumbing supply houses will have pure lead in ingots, here is an online source. http://www.nuclead.com/EXPAGES/leadcaulk.asp?gclid=CIrJ4bL80q8CFYe5KgodYXYedQ

So leave the solder to the electricians and go with the plumbers
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM

Default 177 pellet mould

Believe it or not, someone actually "designed" one once. I think the guy posted as Oldfeller on the cast bullet site. I don't think he's still around.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

(note the incorrect spelling). It may have gotten to a "group buy" stage 8-10 years ago, or it may not have had enough subscribers to make the 25 unit "cut" for a custom Lee mould. It wasn't a resounding success. You could do a search over there.

Even if you value your time at only minimum wage, I can't see how you could possibly save money by casting these. Excellent quality pellets are readily available and reasonably priced.

JMHO ......

Resp'y,
Bob S.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM

I think the major manufacturers of thes wind up swaging them rather than casting them anyway. The physics of trying to get the metal to flow in to such tiny recesses as the pellet skirt, as well as removing the casting line, coupled with such a light and small projectile make it unlikely you could cast a pellet accurate enough to be acceptable in most sporters, let alone a precision gun.

But if you can get it done, my hat's off to you!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Duty-KTP View Post
BCole, my Feinwerkbau 300 will launch 8 gr wadcutters or pointed pellets at better than 550 fps and it is most certainly accurate/deadly enough for headshots on squirrels out to better than 20 yds with the Simmons 4-12X40 ProAir scope. Many have met my crock pot through such intervention at my bird feeder (during season of course). Instant lights out, no hanging on, no wiggling, just flop.
I chrono'd my Beeman at 605 fps. It will barely take squirrels with headshots at a measured 17yds and won't kill them at all at 22 yds. I know I wasn't missing because I've later killed the squirrels and found my pellets under the skin in their heads.