Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 03:13 AM

Default Match Pellets

I have a couple of questions concerning Item #409 in the E-Store. These are the Merlin Match Pellets by Vogel, which sell for $70.00 per 5,000 pellets. My questions:

Does anyone know what the weight (in grains) of this pellet is?

Has anyone had any experience with them and can give an opinion on how they compare to other major "name brand" match pellets?

Thanks for any comments offered.

Last edited by BobB; 03-27-2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: double-word
Old 03-29-2010, 01:39 AM

There are many types of Match pallets.RWS Hyper Velocity Pellets produce ultra high velocities in all medium powered air rifles. RWS Hyper Velocity Pellets sit inside a plastic sabot that provides a snug barrel fit for optimum velocity and accuracy.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:42 PM

albertwigs,

Thank you but I don't see any connection between my question and your reply.

I'm quite familiar with the fact that there are many types of pellets. Please read my post again.

I'm referring specifically to the wadcutter match pellets offered by the CMP E-Store. I just wanted to know their weight and what their reputation may be as a seriously accurate match pellet.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 PM

I think I asked the same question over in the Ammo forum a while ago. the answer I got was that they are similar in accuracy as any of the other more popular european pellets. I never asked about weight though. I have not ordered any yet, so have no first hand knowledge of how good or bad they are.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 AM

I've since learned that Vogel (Germany) manufactures two .177 cal pellets which are distributed and sold in the U.S. - a "Heavy," which weighs 8.2 gr. and a "Light," which weighs 7.7 gr. They are both 4.50mm in diameter and not offered in various diameters as some match pellets are (4.49, 4.50, 4.51, etc.). The Vogel "Merlin" pellets packaged and distributed for CMP sales are the Vogel "Heavy" (8.2 gr.) match pellets.

I have ordered a sleeve of them and I guess I'll find out how good they are. They'll probably be capable of shooting better than I can hold. (Which isn't saying much.)

Hopefully, they'll be fine.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Scott at Pilkguns sells Vogel pellets and I would trust him. I think you have to be involved with a juniors air rifle club to buy the Merlin's here.

Ask your question here:
http://www.targettalk.org/ ~ all the Olympic shooters hang out here
http://www.pilkguns.com/pellets.shtml ~ Scott is a straight up guy
http://www.vogelusa.com/ ~ Company website

Good luck,
Jim

(sorry I can't answer your question)
Old 04-01-2010, 11:57 PM

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. See my last previous post. Actually, I got these weight answers from talking to PilkGuns via telephone and I agree. They were quite helpful.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:14 PM

A vast majority of pellets you will find these days are "heavy".
The heavys were meant for rifles and the lights for pistols.
Today however with the majority of match pistols being charged by PCP, they can shoot the heavys as well. The only time I need to order lights are for our lever cocked style pistols.
I've heard that some club programs that use the 853/753/953 style 3-P rifles (lever cocked) also find that their guns shoot better with lights.