X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmclaine
    • Nov 2009

Great thread info.

Wish I could be so lucky as to send a gun off to Chuck and have one of these built.

Comment

• drmsparks
      • Oct 2009

ok....my plans

I have a Unertl 10x (I got this for the price of an upgraded repro)

I will not shoot cmp matches. Vintage sniper isn't a fun match for me. I do plan on shooting it in some local f class and tactical matches.

Most of the time 100-200 yards. Competition? 600 -1000. Mostly short range practice though.

Comment

• Randy A
        • Nov 2009

Yes, it does hit. I installed an original early USMC 8X unertl with original O/E bases on mine and the bolt handle can very easily smack the scope. In fact with the 100 yd zero you I couldn't cycle the bolt without contacting the scope. I also bought a Hi-Lux and tried it (thinking maybe the mounts would vary) but it hit also. Options are to relieve the bolt, but I didn't want to do that to my polished NS, so I got the taller mounts that Chuck recommended. End of problem.

Comment

• ceresco
          • Oct 2009

Maybe not--have you tried it at 100yds?? You could have bought a $15 NIW bolt body, ground a crescent in it and polished it...... Good Shooting...

Comment

• Randy A
            • Nov 2009

That's what I said, 100 yd zero is lowest location of scope tube, the bolt hits. The bolt I have is correct to the A1NM so for a solution as simple as mounting blocks... easy decision.
            One thing to consider about the different blocks though. Check that the taller front block does not show up in your 100 yd iron sight picture. Mine was fine, but still something to check if you have the original style sights. Shouldn't be a problem if you have the USMC #10 sights, they're higher.

Comment

• motorcop
              • Dec 2010

There's another issue that can happen with the taller scope mounts and one that I encountered. Initially I did not want to alter the bolt handle so Steve Earle sent me the taller mounts. Built the rifle myself and all went well till I got to the range. I discovered that the taller scope mounts forced my head into a position that I did not like one bit. Stock to cheek weld sucked big time. So I sent for the normal height mounts and installed them. Clearanced the bolt handle and everything worked just perfect. I can lay on the stock now and be very comfortable without having my head twisted up. Even a little bit of head tilt can have a huge impact on comfort and ability to hit the target where you want to. Very fun build and have done several others that have all turned out to be great shooters. You just need the right tools and a decent rifle to start with.

Rick

Comment

• ceresco
                • Oct 2009

It is hard to see how 0.10" could make much difference--the head position is difficult with most of the bolt snipers. They were not designed for scopes. I find the sniper match position to be quite uncomfortable, so 10 rnds is enough at one time for me. Good Shooting....

Comment

• Rootsy
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ceresco View Post
                  It is hard to see how 0.10" could make much difference--the head position is difficult with most of the bolt snipers. They were not designed for scopes. I find the sniper match position to be quite uncomfortable, so 10 rnds is enough at one time for me. Good Shooting....
                  It will definitely strain the neck.
                  Michigan Rifle & Pistol Assoc - State High Power Director
                  Distinguished Rifleman #2297

Comment

• Rootsy
                    • Feb 2013

For anyone interested, Optics Planet is offering the 8X Hi-Lux without the recoil spring installed for $457 and change w/ free shipping. Coupon Code I was given is 347ADCF. 4 left.

This applies to item LW-RS-M8USMC-EE

Comment

• motorcop
                      • Dec 2010

Once you shoot one with higher mounts versus standard you will understand. Sacrificing a bolt handle is nothing compared to getting good cheek weld and being as comfortable as possible when you are in position.

Rick

Comment

• Rootsy
                        • Feb 2013

The scope I received from Optics Planet is being returned today. I can live with hardware issues but the sight picture is blurry around the edges, IE fish bowl / tunnel vision and it is difficult to get a crisp sight picture. If you remove the eye piece and look through the scope with a bright light you can see where the lenses did not fully mate in the erector assembly. There is also no plate in there with a small hole (exit pupil?). Not sure if these have one or not.

Not sure if I chance replacing it or spend the extra $200 from Creedmoor where someone has actually looked through what is sent to me.

Reading Hi-Lux's "lifetime" warranty does nothing but tick me off. I shouldn't have to pick up shipping to or from them. Their junk, they should fix it, all costs incurred.

Comment

• ceresco
                          • Oct 2009

It seems to me that essentially all of the HiLux scopes go back for service. At least they do honor the warranty. I have seen the Creedmore upgrade and I didn't feel they fixed some of the problems. I would still go with the HiLux for most applications--but keep the warranty info in order. Ironsight is a good place for warranty work--maybe not super fast but they try. Good Shooting......

Comment

• Rootsy
                            • Feb 2013

It seems to me that essentially all of the HiLux scopes go back for service. At least they do honor the warranty. I have seen the Creedmore upgrade and I didn't feel they fixed some of the problems. I would still go with the HiLux for most applications--but keep the warranty info in order. Ironsight is a good place for warranty work--maybe not super fast but they try. Good Shooting......
                            I guess what I am trying to say is that for anywhere from $460 - $650 you should be receiving a flawless product. The mark-up has to be 1000% by the time it hits the customer. For this price there is absolutely no reason not to put each of these through a SP-12 type of process prior to leaving the manufacturing facility. The only thing that makes it special is the specialized nature of it's requirement to even have a market for existence.

These are not complex optics. You can disassemble the entire optic in 5 minutes or less. There aren't a lot of components.

Comment

• ceresco
                              • Oct 2009

My best guess is all the HiLux 1941s came to the US in one container and there won't be any improvements in them, unless it are done here. The market is small and the alternatives are limited. There have been innumerable comments from buyers--all to no real avail. This is one of those times when the "it is what it is" comment is right on. Good Shooting.....

Comment

• Rootsy
                                • Feb 2013

I wanted to follow up with the resolution of the issues with my Hi-Lux 8x USMC. I purchased this scope through optics planet, S/N 1147. Out of the box the image was partially out of focus around the edge. The front ring also had issues.

I contacted hi-lux about repairing or replacing as I figured sending it back to optics planet would result in receiving another optic with issues. I asked hi-lux to pick up all costs (shipping) and they did. I wrote a list of issues and returned it to them. John Wu called to tell me he had put the scope on the collimeter and it was gtg. The scope was returned and the primary optical image had not been corrected. The front ring had a new cap but the ring itself needed to be replaced. When originally assembled the threads were nearly stripped.

I contacted them again and spoke directly with John Wu (owner). Hi-lux sent another shipping label and back it went. This time I took a photo through the scope with the ocular lens removed and annotated the issues with the erector lenses.

John called me about 2 weeks later (Christmas and new year were during this time). This conversation was disheartening because though I had clearly pointed out the problem hi-lux could not recognize it. After explaining to him what to look at, specifically, in their own scope, he called me back to tell me they were just replacing the scope.

Optically the replacement scope is good. Thread fit on the dust caps and the sun shade are poor. Very loose. I will live with it and just have to be mindful of it.

While hi-lux is very willing to take care of you as a customer I am not convinced that there is a lot of technical ability. In today's manufacturing world and for the price you pay, there are no good reasons for these quality issues. Maybe future productions runs will be better.

Comment

Working...
                                X