Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 04:49 PM

Default My first visit to CMP SS (and 1st post)

Finally took the 8-hour round trip to CMP SS this morning to learn, shop, and meet folks. I'm having shipped to my home a Garand Service Grade Special and 2 ea. 400-round boxes of HXP .30-06.

As for Garands, I saw lotsa SA, WRA, and HRA rack/field grades. Just about all of them look like they'd been run over by a column of tanks, but still managed to attract a lot of attention from collectors looking for the right combination of parts, I guess. Some of the rack grade bores were obviously "ovalled" at the muzzle from aggresive improper cleaning techniques. No service grades to be found.

Seventy-two Garand Service Grade Specials were lined up on the racks. Of the 60 or so I muzzle-gauged, all but five were MW=1, plus or minus a fraction; two were MW=0.5, one was MW=1.5, one was MW=2 (!), and one was MW=0 (the one that I made mine, heh, heh). Nice figure to the wood as well. A small shiny new scratch is etched into the rear sight cover, but the zero MW rating is worth the boo-boo.

I didn't pay much attention to carbines, barrels, barrelled receivers, etc. as I wasn't in the market for them.

Leon was extremely helpful and quite the patient gentleman.

Greetings to all from a new forum member.

Tennboy
Old 11-18-2009, 06:24 PM

Congrats on the new addition to your family.

I made my way down to the SS for the first time last weekend and actually got the same exact thing as you: an SG Special and two boxes of ammo.

Mine had a MW of .5. Either I missed that 0, or they put it out later, but I swear I checked every one! The field grades looked pretty rough on the outside, but there were some with a MW of 2 or less...not many though.

Leon was too busy poking John with a muzzle gauge to help, but John sure did help me when he wasn't yelling at Leon

Have fun with your new toy.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:28 AM

Somewhat off-topic, but: I am told that different "brands" of muzzle gauges will read differently on the same firearm, which doesn't sound right to me. I am using a Scott Duff gauge.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:43 AM

Default It's true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Somewhat off-topic, but: I am told that different "brands" of muzzle gauges will read differently on the same firearm, which doesn't sound right to me. I am using a Scott Duff gauge.
That is correct, some muzzle gauges do give a different reading. I imagine that's why you see guys reference what gauge they are using when selling a rifle.

"Muzzle measures just under 2 on my CMP gauge..."

Old 11-20-2009, 03:50 PM

Mike, I left about a half-hour before you arrived. I had been on the road since 3:20 AM EST following a terrible night's sleep and wanted to return to my home in Oak Ridge while I could still keep my eyes open. Quite an experience, and I will return occasionally as the offerings change from time to time.

I talked with a trio of collectors who show up every Wednesday morning after the weekend "new" selections are put on the racks. I noticed one of those fellows had Georgia tags on his car, so they are not all locals. Apparently, there are a cadre of "regulars" who camp out there weekly. The 8-hour round trip and my small savings account balance prevent me from taking that frequent a "fix" for my Garand jones.

Regards,
Tennboy
Old 11-20-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 139 View Post
Tennboy, I got there yesterday about 11 EST, I talked with a guy that said he was from Tennessee and in addition to a SG special, he bought a field grade 1943, that was 2 on each end. Small world.

I picked up a SG special, 5.8 serial range and just under 1 on my Fulton, and 3 boxes of ammo...looked at the M1A1's in the case...two had greek wood , the one GI had a crack on the left side. the carbines in the racks look they they had been rode hard and put up wet. was hoping to see some of the SG's or correct grades... none available.
That 1943 FG is probably the one I held for about half an hour trying to decide whether or not to buy!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 AM

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the purchase of the Specials. They are the best deal right now.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks to all for your warm welcome. I'll post a SGS range report as soon as I can get up there. (The range is inside a watershed that is currently shut down for recreation during black powder week). Leon asked me for a range report when I bought the rifle.

Regards,
Tennboy
Old 11-21-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 139 View Post
... The one I bought, when I took it to the counter to field-strip, it was bone dry and rust showing on the op-rod spring. I ALWAYS change out the op-rod spring on my Garands with a new one from " Orion 7 " Not only is Tony good people, he's also an Officer of the GCA.

Good luck with the "new" rifle.
The SG Special I bought in August came with an Orion 7 Op rod spring installed. When I first stripped it, I recognized the golden-honey colored spring & "Asked Orest" if it was from Orion 7. He replied that it was. Like you, I put an Orion 7 spring in a new Garand.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 PM

Thumbs up ...good advice...

Field stripping at the Store counter revealed that all metal required oiling and that op rod and bolt friction surfaces required lubing with gun grease. Thanks for the advice on the OR spring, I'll check it out before a range trip!