Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Question What do I have here

Well Im a newby here so pls take it easy on me .

My first question will be .
I have an M1 that was passed down to me from my Father appx 25 years ago before he died. who he got from his dad . I am now 54 . It has been setting in my closet for a long time & I happend to find this site . & it is a verry good Forum Thanks for having me here. I dont really Know what iI have here except an Item that will be passed down to my oldest Son .
I do know it is a Marlin 30 cal N.P.M. stamped # starts with 19769kief.

What can I learn about this from you great group of guys.

Thanks from RD.

Last edited by RedDawg; 11-06-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Default Hello and Welcome

I am going to guess that it is an M1 Carbine - all chambered in .30 Carbine not 30-06 like the M1 Garand.

It has a National Postal Meter Receiver with a Marlin produced barrel.

Larry Ruth's "War Baby" two volume set on the M1 carbine has nearly everything known about these nifty little guns and their accessories and civilian copies. He states on page 448 of volume 1- "National Postal Meter did not manufacture any barrels, but obtained them as government-free-issue from other contractors "all were in general use throughout production."

I can't find anything else on the NPM production dates - they are in the book, but I do not own one.

Pictures would be nice - we like pictures here!

Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 PM

Reddog,
Welcome to the forums!

NATIONAL POSTAL METER

TOTAL CARBINES PRODUCED: 413,017

SERIAL NUMBER RANGE
1,450,000-1,549,999
1,937,520-1,982,519
4,075,010-4,079,999
4,080,000-4,425,099
4,425,100-4,432,099

The Marlin barrel is most likely original to the carbine. NPM used barrels by I.B.M , Buffalo Arms, Rock Ola and Underwood.
your serial number range appears to be Oct 43 to Nov43

Would love to see pictures. What are some of the markings on parts like the rear sight and internals?

Last edited by MH53Gunner; 11-06-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 AM

A little history behind this Carbine.

It was my Gtandfathers from when he was in the seabees overseas, Im pretty shure if I remember corectly he was in Okinawa. when they came back home he brought his weapon home with him. he didnot talk much about the war to me because I was still just a young child of appx 7 years old. he even had an old Cannon he would bring out every 4th of july and fire it a few times.
Well lookin at the Carbine I can tell you this. on the right side of the rear sight its marked I.R.CO. -7160060.
The hammer is marked Q.U.
Behind the trigerhousing its marked N 9.
The front metal band that holds the stock together is marked with a 5.
The stock itself is stamped with an NPM marking near the but plate, at the cutout where the sling goes is listed as Trimble TN .
The underside of the forgrip is marked Pedersen U.
I have 3 clips for this Carbine 2 15 round clips & 1 30 round clip that came with it . I did at one time have som A.P. rounds but I shot those up a long time ago.

Thanks for all the info & your friendship.

RedDawg.

Last edited by RedDawg; 11-07-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:31 PM

DAWG! What you have here is freaking HISTORY. A war bring back of a personal weapon was illegal as heck by the way. Vets mailed home enemy weapons they confiscated on the battle field but were not supposed to send their own. I'd say Grandpa found an extra carbine and sent it home. Lucky he didn't get caught. If you're not familiar, Okinawa was a brutal battle, Japanese soil and all and they fought like demons as they did in most of the Pacific islands. The seabees were crucial at various points in the battle as they cut cut roads to bring up ammo and heavy weapons and they bulldozed bunkers with the enemy inside! Forget world value - this is a family treasure with historical provenance and I'd be sure and have a fireproof safe to store it in.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 PM

Welcome to the forum. It is nice that you are saving this as an heirloom for your son.
See if you can find a picture of your grandfather, write down what you can remember,
it may help if your grandson (or grandaughter) inherits it someday. My daughter suggested this to me, for her kids.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 AM

Welcome...

NPM (National Postal Meter) were made in upstate NY.
NPM had one of the best records for quality and 1st time acceptance of production.

Sounds like a family treasure that should be fired every so often, but never sold, just treasured and kept in the family.

The 30 rnd clip were post WWII, the 15rnders, if not aftermarket are most likely WWII.

Is the rear sight a "flipper", having two apertures? or a ramp adjustable sight?

The front barrel band that holds the front handguard on, and rifle into the stock, does it have anything else infront of it, on the barrel, (a sheath around the barrel with a lug under the barrel), or is just all barrel after the band up to the front sight?

Pictures are worth many many more words..
A evening spent trying to take some good pictures, along with close ups of the markings you find on the metal and stock help the crowd here appreciate the rifle and provide you with some more info...