Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Man, that RG is a great find. I'm hoping I'll be as lucky.
I'm heading down tomorrow, so anyone else that's going had better leave me something good!
I keep hearing so many good things about the SG specials that I may have to get one of those if I don't find a really good FG that I'm satisfied with. I don't want to spend that money...but we'll see.

Also, just to be clear, I only need to bring:
Passport
Drivers license
Marksmanship proof
GCA membership

Right?

The site says something about an order form being notarized, but I'm guessing that's for mail order customers?
I just want to be sure that I have everything before I waste a 4.5 hr trip.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrothospital View Post
I'm heading down tomorrow, so anyone else that's going had better leave me something good!
I keep hearing so many good things about the SG specials that I may have to get one of those if I don't find a really good FG that I'm satisfied with. I don't want to spend that money...but we'll see.

Passport
Drivers license
Marksmanship proof
GCA membership

Right?

The site says something about an order form being notarized, but I'm guessing that's for mail order customers?
The form does have to be notarized. The CMP store has a notary, or you can get it done before you leave just in case..
I would also fill out the forms before you arrive.

The notarized statement (form) is good for 3 years.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 PM

Geez, I'm glad I JUST noticed that requirement. I guess I should pay more attention next time.

As long as they have a notary there I guess I should be good. I'll fill out the form before I go.

thanks!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:

Passport
Passport? Huh? What do you need a passport for? I didnt think CMP even sells rifles or ammo to non US citizens. If you are a US citizen, you sure as heck don't need a freakin passport.

Eric
Old 11-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:

Passport
Drivers license
Marksmanship proof
GCA membership

Right?

They have a notary onsite for walk in orders, no need to have your paperwork notarized ahead of time. Notarizing your paperwork ahead of time is for mail in order.

Eric
Old 11-14-2009, 01:33 AM

Alright, thanks for the info. That's nice to know that they have one on site.

I was only bringing my passport because of this section of the Eligibility Requirements on the sale section:

Proof of U.S. Citizenship:
You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.

I'll bring it just to be safe.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedTerrain40 View Post
Passport? Huh? What do you need a passport for? I didnt think CMP even sells rifles or ammo to non US citizens. If you are a US citizen, you sure as heck don't need a freakin passport.

Eric
Its one way to prove US Citizenship
Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Default passport

RuggedTerrain40

just an FYI on the passport, I am a US citizen, was born one. Just happens my father was a career soldier and stationed in Germany at the time (mother is US citizen also both from the same small town in US) Have a German birth certificate, there are a couple of other papers that had to be filed with the US consulate at that time to verify my birth as a US citizen. All are from the time of carbon paper use and very fragile and getting hard to read. Have had a passport (or in the old days listed and photographed on one, mothers I have the originals) since I was one year old. Easiest way to prove citizenship and not have to answer questions about a German birth certificate.

Great document to have and the first thing they will confiscate when Big Brother wants to control your movements around the country.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedTerrain40 View Post
Passport? Huh? What do you need a passport for? If you are a US citizen, you sure as heck don't need a freakin passport.
Um, yeah... I think you should check the facts a little before you type.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 PM

So, I'm happy to say that I'm the proud owner of an SG Special.

I had John(I think that's his name...at least it was on his shirt), help me out. I started with the field grades and went around with a gauge. He showed me where my best bet was and I walked around for a half hour or so trying to decide.

I found a pretty good FG with a 1.4 mil receiver. MW was around 2.5 and TE was 2. The wood was pretty beat though and the metal parts seemed really worn. I know it would have been fine, but I felt like something was missing.

I looked at the SG Specials and tried to pass them by, but kept going back. I talked with John about it and decided to look at a few more closely. After a while, I couldn't resist. It was just too pretty.

That being said, I ended up with a nice SG Special with a MW of about .5 and a TE of 1. I also got 800 rounds of ammo. Wooooooooo!

I spent more than I wanted to, but I figured that would happen. Besides, I think I'll be really happy with what I got.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures yet. I had them ship it to save on tax, so they said I should get it on Tuesday.

So, what do I need to do to this rifle before I shoot it? I figured maybe greasing, but I don't know what to grease with or what to grease in particular. Also, do I need to break in the barrel at all? I saw some discussion on that but wasn't completely sure of the right procedure. Do I need to "zero in" the sites?

If anyone has some instruction or links to videos on some of this stuff, I'd appreciate it. I did happen to watch some old US Army videos showing different things about firing the Garand.

Thanks for the help!
I'll post pictures when I get it.