Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2015, 02:15 AM

Default $500 Quality Hardware stock?

In an effort to do some research on how we should price a Quality Hardware M1 that came into the store I work for, I ran across this auction on gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=483301589

I guess my questions are: is this for real? Do early QH stocks fetch $500 when they look like they just rolled out of someone's basement? The stock looks like it was cut in half and glued together. Furthermore it looks like a brand new production with some new stamps added to it. The seller says that the wear occurred from the 'stock pouch' sitting there (aka belt pouch) which is amazing given how fresh the rest of it looks.

Thoughts? I like carbines and have two but I am not really into the weeds of collecting - yet.

Last edited by Abacab; 07-23-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:52 AM

Default One of the most blatant fakes I've ever seen

All the stamps look too perfect and fresh, but the Ordinance wheel is upside down!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 AM

I've paid up to $400 for a highwood I-cut Inland with no rebuild marks and no type2/3 band marks, so if it's the real deal, I can definitely understand such a price, especially with all metal and minty.

The marks on the stock are most likely tape marks. The stock had some sort of paper or preservative wrapping on it.

Just because the stamp looks fresh, does not mean it's fake. But that stamp does make me nervous, for instance when I compare it to the one pictured in War Baby. I don't know enough about them to be certain, but if I needed one it would probably make me pass on it.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:11 AM

Collector stocks go $4-5 hundred for nice ones.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:16 AM

I'm not saying this is one of them, but this particular seller is infamous for his "creative" if not out and out fraudulent auctions. Everything he sells is overpriced whether it's worth it our not. I personally wouldn't buy from him and would advise others to do the same.

Last edited by deldriver; 07-23-2015 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Spelling, what else?
Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 AM

I know little about stocks and am still learning, but the overall wood on this one looks brand new - no dings, dents, or dirt. This could have been a tree last week. Except for the line where the wrapping was. It really looks like a saw cut except the grain of the wood traverses the line exactly. If someone cut it, it had to be an exact, PERFECT match back together.

In pix 11, the I-cut is still light in color - it was just made. There is no aging, darkening, or even softening of the edges. Inside the "I" is still light yellow, unless that is just the photo lighting.

In pix 13, my eyes are too bad to see the tail of the "Q". As deep and crisp as the "O" portion is, I would think the tail of the Q would show, but this looks like a perfect circle.

Since I know little about stocks and QH in general, this will be an interesting discussion to learn from. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:39 AM

Stock worth $ 300.00
Metal worth $ 50.00
Tape damage on wood $ 90.00
Damaged slot in recoil plate screw $ 50.00
Upside down Ordnance stamp $ 10.00
My thoughts.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:38 PM

It's a new after market stock. Nowhere in his description did he say or claim it's USGI but spent a lot of BS telling you about the stamps, all the metal that comes with it and what wasn't wrong with it. The buyer got reamed big time.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired bear View Post
It's a new after market stock. Nowhere in his description did he say or claim it's USGI but spent a lot of BS telling you about the stamps, all the metal that comes with it and what wasn't wrong with it. The buyer got reamed big time.
Yes, actually he did make the claim that it's USGI. His description notes that it's a "Quality Hardware M1 Carbine Stock" That's the same as claiming it's USGI in my book.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:46 PM

Very nice USGI Quality Hardware stock in pristine condition . Worth every penny if not more . This buyer beat me to the punch on this one !!