Old 04-15-2017, 07:34 PM

Not true!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplat View Post
it's commercial, not usgi

Old 04-15-2017, 07:39 PM

Not true? That import mark is 100% commercial

Old 04-15-2017, 08:11 PM

Dreading an import mark is a bit silly. My nicest condition carbine is a Winchester Bavarian with an Intrac stamp. Doesn't bother me at all, condition is much more important to me. I put a blue sky barrel on my knockaround NPM and have had zero issues. I think the theory of crushed barrels is conjecture.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplat View Post
Not true? That import mark is 100% commercial

Yep, wont find any import marked guns in any US Military Museum Collections or The Springfield Armory Museum.

Plain fact is that guys with import marked guns will defend their originality and overlook the import marking flaw.

Mark
Old 04-16-2017, 09:59 AM

I recently sold a late war winchester with it's original barrel to a local guy for about that much. I got it cheap, because the shop thought it was a commercial carbine (was sitting in a brand new plainfield stock). I re stocked it with a low wood i got on here, re sprung it, and cleaned it up, and it shot great. The barrel was tired, but the rest of the gun was pretty solid. Was marked Fed Ord under the barrel, indicating it was one of the USGI carbines they brought back from Korea (before they started making their own). Needed a new handguard, a new slide lock detent, and maybe a real USGI sling/oiler to finish it out, so the buyer probably had a $100 or so left to spend on it. The point is i still made a nice profit on a gun i enjoyed for a few years. You never know what the story is. Occasionally the "little old lady that only drove it to church on sundays" story holds up.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Yep, wont find any import marked guns in any US Military Museum Collections or The Springfield Armory Museum.

Plain fact is that guys with import marked guns will defend their originality and overlook the import marking flaw.

Mark
What exactly is the "flaw"? That a business repatriated a US made firearm?
Old 04-16-2017, 12:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to bkavanaugh

I believe it is nothing more than an individual preference. As for me, I need to be judicious in what I invest in for this hobby; reality is non-import marked firearms carry a higher premium than marked. Because of this, I generally pass on import marked. Should I ever need to sell something, a non-import marked firearm will bring a higher return on my original investment. But there will always be exceptions - spring tube Rock Ola, Un-Quality Hardware, Irwin Pedersen, etc.

To each their own.

Last edited by bkavanaugh; 04-16-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:24 PM

It is personal preference. I prefer arms without import markings - still own one or two with them. why not, it can act as a placeholder, or something cheaper to use, that in reality many times can be much nicer condition than one without markings

Ed
Old 04-16-2017, 12:31 PM

Default Gage And Tool Collecting Fun! ...

The last Inland Blue Sky Import we looked at got at least 8 different gages put through it. The barrel was just slightly compressed under the import stamp as verified by the precise Pacific Tool and Gauge barrel straightness gage. Refinished M/M. Nothing special.

But ... it could have shot just fine? Dunno. We passed. Detailed striped. The rest of the carbine looked OK. It was priced too high. $1000 bucks. We are shooters and not collectors. We offered the data to the gun shop FREE.. He did not want it. Strange. $Liability$?

Four, (4) head space gages. Thank you 4gun-drill. Muzzle erosion gage. Two, (2) barrel straightness gages. Piston nut wrench. Throat erosion gage. Bolt Tool. Trigger spring tool. Calipers. A small pair of binoculars. Two OO buckshot sluggers. A bright bore light.

All Fun! Yikes! Carbine fever!

Last edited by HB of CJ; 04-17-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: s/p w/w
Old 04-16-2017, 05:34 PM

It all depends on what you are looking for. I prefer my surplus military firearms as close to when they were turned in by a soldier as possible. Therefore I avoid ones obviously refinished and/or import marked. This is why I haven't ordered any CMP Specials. But, others love the Specials, particularly as shooters.