Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2017, 12:53 AM

Default Remington 10, 17, 29 or an Ithaca 37??

Hi guys!

I'm looking to add a bottom feed-eject C&R shotgun like the ones I mentioned in the post title. Question are: Which one is better? Available parts? Easy to find? Doesn't cost an eye and a limb? Value of a working one?

Read that Rem 10/17/29 are almost the same. Because I never had one in my hands, I don't know anything about them. Just know that the model 10 was used in WWI, Ithaca 37 was used in WWII (am I right?).

Just want to have one example of a bottom eject-feed shotgun to use every now and then to hunt, and an example of a WWI/WW2 shotgun.

Enlighten me with your knowledge!
Old 09-17-2017, 05:31 AM

I'd go with the Ithaca 37. More parts available , more good decent examples available at a more reasonable price and no issues with modern ammunition. Also buy a slip on recoil pad before you shoot it because they kick like a mule with buckshot and most I've ever seen had only a buttplate.

Happy hunting.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:26 AM

After reading a lot, found the the Model 10 was made by John Pedersen and the Model 29 was an improved version of the 10. Model 17 was made by James Moses Browning, with improvements from Pedersen and G.H. Garrison. The Ithaca 37 is a copy of the 17.

Only 73000 17s were made, so, like you said, I think I'll go with an early Ithaca. Model 17s aren't very common and I don't think there are plenty of parts out there.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:58 AM

model 17 is only 20ga..model 10 is heavy and way too many parts..and problem prone
Old 09-17-2017, 07:07 AM

I have 2 Model 37s, one I bought in 1975 and a well used one that was my bear gun when I was in Alaska. Neither has ever failed me or needed any repairs. Honestly though, these last few years they don't get use much. The bear gun is a Deerslayer model and had some cosmetic issues which made perfect as a camp/backpacking gun.

Grumpa72
Old 09-17-2017, 07:21 AM

Do any of you know any online store that sells used Ithacas? Only place I know is GB. Ithaca I'm looking has to be mod barrel, and of course, a C&R. Local FFLs charge a minimum of 75.00 to receive a single gun. One FFL close to my work even charges 150.00! That's why I got my FFL03 license...
Old 09-17-2017, 07:59 AM

Model 37... one sits next to my Bed with N0 7 Bird shot. Keep a eye on GB... they are semi hard to find in great shape, Norinco Made a exact copy and imported them some years ago, That is my go to shotgun.... my backup is a 870 with shock absorbing stock. NEVER use high brass Buck or No2 for a house gun... way over kill for 10 yds engagement..... Bird shot shows down quick and at 25 yds will pepper someone but not kill them...10 yds it will blow a baseball size hole .
Old 09-17-2017, 08:16 AM

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on GB for one with a 28" mod barrel. I'm not in a hurry to find one anymore. I wanted to use it in this year's hunting season, but it was cancelled because of Irma until further notice... Now it looks like we are going to get hit again by Maria... So, I have a year to look for an Ithaca...

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2017, 08:49 AM

Not knowledgable about PR, but I generally would suggest looking for (real) auctions in your vicinity. Demographics and changes in society are putting more and more classic firearms on the market. I have a takedown M10 B and while a real classic, as mentioned, it is complex and proably not the best choice for actual daily use. Good Shooting. ..

Last edited by ceresco; 09-17-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:08 AM

Auctions are nonexisting where I live. To buy a gun you must go to a gunstore, or do a transfer thru a FFL01. Not much choices... Also, there aren't any gun shows, stores only sell new guns. Very difficult to find used guns.

Most people, when they want to get rid of their guns, they take them to the police dept. A very few of the guns are taken back into action within the police dept, but most are destroyed. I was talking to a police officer two days ago about that, and told me he received around 15 rifles from a guy who didn't wanted them anymore. Mayority was milsurps and all got destroyed. I wanted to cry when I heard that...