Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Banned

Default South Store Report for Wednesday, November 18th

I went to the SS for the second time since September to buy 2000 rounds of loose HXP M2 ball, it is for in store purchase only. It was $145 a case, plus AL sales tax. Bought five cases, two marked "1966" and the other three marked "1980."

I was super tired when I was there, just went in and out cause I had driven all night but here is what I saw:

1) Some people there, but kinda slow and relaxed feeling compared to September 9th

2) SS was selling Kowa spotting scopes for $280. Kowa Ive read are pretty good quality scopes, but a lot cheaper than that other big brand name scope that starts with a K.

3) SS still had cans of that aircraft turbine oil

4) they had a rack of M1 Garand Specials at the store

5) they still had the Service Grade Specials for $795

6) I picked up and handled one of the Bavarian M1 carbines. NICE. I bet those post WW2 Germans maintained those carbines well. Didnt see a lot of them, but the ones I saw all looked nice.

Eric
Old 11-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Default ss visit

Eric,

Can you tell me price range on the Bavarian carbines?

thx - John
Old 11-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Are you sure they were Kowa's? Seems too good/cheap to be true from the prices I've seen.

Konus maybe?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppednlocked View Post
Are you sure they were Kowa's? Seems too good/cheap to be true from the prices I've seen.

Konus maybe?

Yeah, they are Kowas. I first read about the Kowa being a decent alternative to Konus scopes on that "JarheadTop" high power rifle shooter sight. That guy seems to be an accomplished shooter and lists some unique things as his products. One of these is the Kowa scopes and they ARE way cheaper than Konus, although I dont know the range of the Kowas. Call Leon at the SS, he could probably tell how you what the Kowas they have for sale are ranged for.

Eric
Old 11-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roswell450 View Post
Eric,

Can you tell me price range on the Bavarian carbines?

thx - John

Nope, sorry John. I wasnt in the market for a carbine, I was just walking around casually picking up rifles, scoping them out. Didnt even bother to look at the price, except for the SG Specials, which are still $795.

If you are in ATL, man you are like an hour and a half at most from the SS. Hop skip and a jump.

Eric
Old 11-19-2009, 06:17 PM

IIRC,$650 Bavarian Rural Police rack grade.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:56 PM

John & Eric

Thank you - I am saving up and plan for mid-December carbine run.

I appreciate the info - John
Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedTerrain40 View Post
I went to the SS for the second time since September to buy 2000 rounds of loose HXP M2 ball, it is for in store purchase only. It was $145 a case, plus AL sales tax. Bought five cases, two marked "1966" and the other three marked "1980."

I was super tired when I was there, just went in and out cause I had driven all night but here is what I saw:

1) Some people there, but kinda slow and relaxed feeling compared to September 9th

2) SS was selling Kowa spotting scopes for $280. Kowa Ive read are pretty good quality scopes, but a lot cheaper than that other big brand name scope that starts with a K.

3) SS still had cans of that aircraft turbine oil

4) they had a rack of M1 Garand Specials at the store

5) they still had the Service Grade Specials for $795

6) I picked up and handled one of the Bavarian M1 carbines. NICE. I bet those post WW2 Germans maintained those carbines well. Didnt see a lot of them, but the ones I saw all looked nice.

Eric
Did you see if there were any BR's and were there any 1917's there?
Thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedTerrain40 View Post
One of these is the Kowa scopes and they ARE way cheaper than Konus
I must be confused.

From what I read on the site he says the Konus is comparable in quality to a Kowa at a fraction of the cost, and if you decide to upgrade from the Konus to a Kowa he'll "rent" you the Konus.

From the jarheadtop site:

PRICE

The Kowa 82SV now days runs over $900.00 for the Scope, Eyepiece, cover and shipping.

The KONUS is $245.00 and that includes the scope, eyepiece, a soft carry case, a tripod that has adjustable elevation and Windage knobs and a camera attachment is included. Plus $10.00 shipping

I will say I didn't realize Kowa made a lower priced scope until I started looking around tonight.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppednlocked View Post
I must be confused.

From what I read on the site he says the Konus is comparable in quality to a Kowa at a fraction of the cost, and if you decide to upgrade from the Konus to a Kowa he'll "rent" you the Konus.

From the jarheadtop site:

PRICE

The Kowa 82SV now days runs over $900.00 for the Scope, Eyepiece, cover and shipping.

The KONUS is $245.00 and that includes the scope, eyepiece, a soft carry case, a tripod that has adjustable elevation and Windage knobs and a camera attachment is included. Plus $10.00 shipping

I will say I didn't realize Kowa made a lower priced scope until I started looking around tonight.
OK, maybe I made a mistake. I can admit when I am wrong. I was real tired, but they had a good sized stack of Kowa stocks in front of the armorer desk, for $280. I ASSumed, , these were the inexpensive scopes Jim Ownes mentions on his Jarheadtop website.

Maybe I got the names mixed up and maybe the ones at the SS are just a lower end version of the high end scopes.

Id suggest calling the SS for the brand name of the scopes and maybe asking for the model #and then running that on an Internet search to verify for yourself.

But they did have 20 power spotting scopes for sale at the SS for $280 on Wednesday

Eric