Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Default "Band of Brothers" carbine on Gunbroker

I thought this was neat, apologies if it's been posted before. I have no affiliation with the seller, and yes, it IS a repro, non-USGI and all that. Still, I'd be willing to bet a lot of folks got involved with the CMP and Garands/Carbines due to BoB, so I figured I'd pass this along.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=195930790
Old 10-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Even though not USGI, these are still pretty cool. Like many other things, if I had
some xtra cash, well you know the rest.

Member:
NRA established 1871 www.nra.org
GCA established 1985 www.thegca.org
Carbine Club est. 1976 www.carbineclub.com
Old 10-23-2010, 02:38 PM

aThat is really cool.
It should sell.
I met "Will Bill" Guarnere at an Allentown, PA. gun show.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:23 PM

Saw these at the WW2 weekend in Reading this past June..yea, they're repros, but the signatures alone are worth getting it.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Meet a lot of the 506th guys at a reunion in Toccoa, Ga back in 2004....Great bunch of guys, and the stories they had to share was unbelieveable....Unfortunately, a lot of the guys that were there then is not with us today..... I am glad I got em all to sign my copy of the 506 PIR scrapbook. They actually signed their pictures in the book...Great roadtrip.....
Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM

Thumbs down Whaaat??

Geez!!

$2000.00 bid . . .

And "Reserve not met!"

Ya gotta be kidding!

It's a repro . . .
Old 10-26-2010, 09:00 AM

There are Two schools of thought going on here.

#1 Oh look the price is too high, for an repo carbine!

#2 WOW! look a presentation M1A1 Carbine signed by Eight Members of Easy Co. of the 506Th PIR(AKA the Band of Brothers)
Something that I could shot or Preserve as I wish! and It has been shot by Don Malarkey. You get what You pay for!

I tend to lean towards the second school of thought!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Funny how that one didn't meet reserve at $2000, but if you look at that seller's completed auctions, they were selling higher grade ones (with wood presentation case and some extras) for $2495 "Buy it now."

Maybe they're getting a little greedier as their supply runs low. I couldn't find a listing for this gun on Auto Ord's website, so maybe it's something this seller/gun store did in their own.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to xd9x19

Although it's cool, I think I'd treasure a rack grade of the real thing more. I may not know the history behind a CMP carbine, but it was a part of history and manufactured to change the course of history whether it sat in a warehouse or never saw action. A CMP carbine was not manufactured as a collector's piece or an offshoot of someone's marketing department.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM1cGarand View Post
There are Two schools of thought going on here.

#1 Oh look the price is too high, for an repo carbine!

#2 WOW! look a presentation M1A1 Carbine signed by Eight Members of Easy Co. of the 506Th PIR(AKA the Band of Brothers)
Something that I could shot or Preserve as I wish! and It has been shot by Don Malarkey. You get what You pay for!

I tend to lean towards the second school of thought!
I'd fall into category 2 myself. While $2k or more is a bit rich for me (at least for something like this), at least it was held, handled, and even fired by some of the best of the WW2 veterans. Buying a run of the mill carbine, even from the CMP where the "authenticity" is a bit more guaranteed, doesn't mean the gun didn't sit in the rack of some 2nd Lt.'s Jeep, at Fort Campbell, for the duration of the war.

I think the odds of getting a real gun used at, say Bastogne, are slim to none...and there's almost no way to guarantee it even if you do. This way, at least you own a gun used by Easy Company, for whatever that's worth.

Not for everyone, or even for me, or I would have bid on it, but certainly worth a fair piece of change to some. For $1k, I'd have been all over it, but paying $1500 for some autographs on a $500 gun is not something I can justify, personally.

Now ask me again when I'm holding my Christmas bonus, or tax return, and I may have a different answer, haha.